Our society glorifies those who sacrifice all to pursue their dreams, who never quit, who suffer to achieve greatness. But what about those who put dreams in their proper place?
Hopefully the day will come when he can say goodbye to his nine-to-five job and write or act full time. Perhaps he’ll relocate from the Midwest to California or New York and support his family on his creative talents.
But what if that never happens? What if his dreams remain on the periphery, like extras in his life’s movie? They’ll be seen, have their role, but never dominate the screen.
What if he is only remembered as a man who worked hard every single day in corporate America and took whatever time he could squeeze from life to pursue his other passions?
What if he’s remembered as nothing but a husband and father who kept his promises, loved God and loved his family, and served both with all his heart? Then he would leave this life a very satisfied man.
You probably know someone just like this. Maybe they stare back at you in the mirror every morning. You might wake up in the early hours to work on that manuscript or screenplay. You sing in the shower or in the garage with your band with the hope and prayer that one day your passions will become a profession.
You accept that your dreams won’t come true without true effort, but that dreams are not an excuse to shirk responsibilities of living in a modern world. It's what makes you admirable. It's what makes you honorable.
It's what makes you a "life hero."
And it's time we honor you, too.
Jason F. Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters," and "The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance." He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or jasonfwright.com.
- LDS First Presidency calls 8 new MTC presidents
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'...
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides...
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- Elder Oaks gives special Thanksgiving...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- A lesson a little girl learned while seeing...
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- A lesson a little girl learned while... 4
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'... 4
- The most grateful religions in America,... 2
- Pope Francis brings peace message to... 1
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides... 1
- Book review: 'Understanding the... 1