Small fire at BYU museum extension quickly extinguished (+video)
PROVO — A small fire caused minimal damage at a construction site on BYU's campus Monday.
The Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum is having an addition built. About 11:10 a.m. Monday, sparks from a torch being used for cutting on a second level beam caught the insulation on a wall on the first floor on fire, said Brigham Young University spokeswoman Carrie Jenkins.
Emergency crews arrived quickly and had the fire out within two minutes, she said. Damage to an exterior wall was minimal. There was no interior damage.
The roads around the museum were blocked for about 30 minutes while firefighters attended to the incident.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Outbreak of illness linked to Weber County...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 35
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 28
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 23