One of the great reliefs in raising three boys was “checking off” the completion of the Eagle Scout project on the “things they simply must accomplish” list. I’m sorry if that sounds bad, but it’s one of those things that my husband and I expected and hoped that our sons desired for themselves. All of the projects they chose and organized were worthy pursuits, and we felt like they learned valuable lessons in leadership, charity and service to their fellowmen. And, yes — there was a little parental "encouragement" along the way. Still, I think most people will agree that earning the rank of Eagle Scout is a notable accomplishment.
This Sunday on “Mormon Times TV,” you’ll see how another young man took his Eagle leadership service project into his own hands, completing it just in time for his 18th birthday. And, when you see the personal challenges he was up against, you’ll really be inspired by his monumental effort.
David L. Beck, Young Men general president, will also be along to talk about the lessons every Eagle Scout should learn from a good project — and how parents can help.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints truly is an international church, and you’ll see that on March 17 when we Skype with a missionary couple serving in Sierra Leone. You’ll see what it’s like to be a member there, and how the LDS Church is growing.
Sometimes missions are interrupted by illness. You’ll meet a young man who had to come home to recover before going back out to serve. He speaks openly about the challenges that accompany an early return, what he learned about himself, and how ward members and neighbors can help these missionaries.
And join us for a good time seeing how five local Seminary teachers lost hundreds of pounds together and won a big prize, with their students’ help.
The “Mormon Times TV" television show airs weekly on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. on KSL TV/Channel 5 following the Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast. It can also be viewed online at mormontimestv.ksl.com, where you can see past episodes. You can check us out on YouTube at youtube.com/mormontimes, where it’s easier than ever to view and share inspiring stories from the show. And we invite you to follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/MormonTimesTV and join in the conversation.
We’re always looking for uplifting, inspirational stories that involve people of the LDS faith. If you have some ideas you’d like to share with us, drop me an email at email@example.com.
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 6 ways youths, leaders can reboot the church...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Streaming video: Long-awaited Star Valley...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 100
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 62
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 51
- Physicist tells New York Times he keeps... 37
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 25
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects... 17