Robbery involving fake officer tied to October incident
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SANDY — Police believe a robbery in October is likely connected to a second robbery in Sandy last week.
In each incident, a man came to the victim's door posing as a police officer before robbing them.
On Oct. 4, a man knocked on an elderly couple's door at 220 E. Pioneer Ave. (8560 South), flashed a badge and asked to enter. When the couple allowed the fake officer in, he was quickly followed by another man with a bandana over his face. The men then restrained the couple with zip ties, made them lie on the floor, and then ransacked the couple's house.
On Friday, a similar incident involving suspects with the same descriptions occurred.
A man knocked on a door at 1980 E. 8950 South, showed the victim a badge and claimed he was a police officer working on an investigation. As soon as the door was opened for the man, at least two others stormed in, and the three restrained the young man inside the house — and possibly even used a Taser on him, according to police.
In both cases, the would-be officer was described as a black man in his middle 30s to early 40s, about 6 feet 2 inches tall with a medium build, and was last seen wearing a green long-sleeved shirt, black pants. He was carrying a silver badge and a two-way radio.
Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold said detectives were still trying to determine Monday what, if anything, the two victims had in common or why they were targeted, or if similar items were taken from both homes.
If a resident has questions about the authenticity of a police officer at their door, they can ask for police identification which all Sandy officers are required to carry. Residents can also call emergency dispatchers to confirm whether an officer is supposed to be at their house. If needed, additional officers can be asked to respond in order to verify that the first officer is legit, Arnold said.
Anyone with information on the robberies can call police at 801-469-3940.
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- 'To this day, I don't believe I did it': War...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 133
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19