"Someone is going to have to demonstrate to me in a satisfactory way that homosexual activity is not immoral," he said during last week's committee hearing, "because as long as I feel that way, I cannot advance policy that frankly encourages the societal acceptance of something I believe is immoral."
Urquhart responded by saying Reid clearly and articulately expressed the opposition to the bill. He said many of his Senate colleagues told him it would create special rights for a particular group of people.
"My job is to convince them over the next year that this is not about special rights. It's about equal rights," Urquhart said.
Laura Bunker, United Families Utah chapter president, said her concerns over the bill won't change. Same-sex marriage in four states, she said, came about after non-discrimination laws in housing and employment were enacted.
"They use those kinds of laws as a basis to legally recognize same-sex marriage, so we don't want to open that door," she said.
Urquhart said he has found societal attitudes about the anti-discrimination laws interesting.
"It's interesting how those attitudes break along generational lines," he said. "Whether we get it through this year or next, it's something that will continue to gain ground and continue to bring people to the idea that people shouldn't be discriminated against for their gender identity or sexual orientation."
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 25
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18