"Someone is going to have to demonstrate to me in a satisfactory way that homosexual activity is not immoral," he said during last week's committee hearing, "because as long as I feel that way, I cannot advance policy that frankly encourages the societal acceptance of something I believe is immoral."
Urquhart responded by saying Reid clearly and articulately expressed the opposition to the bill. He said many of his Senate colleagues told him it would create special rights for a particular group of people.
"My job is to convince them over the next year that this is not about special rights. It's about equal rights," Urquhart said.
Laura Bunker, United Families Utah chapter president, said her concerns over the bill won't change. Same-sex marriage in four states, she said, came about after non-discrimination laws in housing and employment were enacted.
"They use those kinds of laws as a basis to legally recognize same-sex marriage, so we don't want to open that door," she said.
Urquhart said he has found societal attitudes about the anti-discrimination laws interesting.
"It's interesting how those attitudes break along generational lines," he said. "Whether we get it through this year or next, it's something that will continue to gain ground and continue to bring people to the idea that people shouldn't be discriminated against for their gender identity or sexual orientation."
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 33
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Local religious leaders urge support... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 13