Mothers who blog have been the focus of news articles for years, but one type of online journaling that hasn't been discussed as much is the world of video bloggers, specifically the moms who produce these video blogs.
Circle of Moms website is currently hosting an international competition to determine the top 25 mom video bloggers. There are more than 151 video blogs nominated, and one Mormon mom, Mindy McKnight, creator of 'Cute Girls Hairstyles,' currently holds the No. 1 spot with more than 48,000 votes.
McKnight, who lives is Utah, is a mother of five daughters and one son. She began blogging in 2008 by posting hair tutorials online. She eventually turned to video tutorials which is when her video blog on YouTube began to grow.
"It's really amazing," McKnight said on the growth of her YouTube channel. "From that until now, it's been amazing the opportunities it's brought. It's been really fun and crazy and every day is something different and new."
McKnight's video blog currently has 153,774,482 video views and 822,241 subscribers to her channel.
But McKnight isn't the only Mormon mom at the top of the competition. Colette Butler, known as Katilette to her video blog followers or mommytard by the followers of her husband's video blog Shaytard, is also in the race. Currently, Butler is in the 10th spot with more than 9,000 views.
Butler first was seen in the YouTube world on her husband's Shaytards channel that has gone viral and was even recognized by Forbes magazine. The Shaytards channel currently has 564,042,247 views with 1,123,501 subscribers to the channel.
But Butler began her own channel in 2011 and has also grown a large following of her own. Butler answers questions from her viewers regarding family situations, parenting and more. She also discusses her own goals and encourages others to participate.
Although both of these moms have focused on different topics to discuss in their videos, they have each found a way to share their religious beliefs with their millions of followers. McKnight has a link on her blog that links to Mormon.org and Butler created a video specifically discussing her LDS faith.
The Circle of Moms competition ends on March 13 at 5 p.m. Voting is allowed every 24 hours per computer or device.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- The Clean Cut: Alex Boye releases 'Danny Boy'...
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- David Archuleta sings 'Bring Him Home' for...
- You think your student is well off? The...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- Two powerful forces make American... 27
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 21
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s... 21
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 20
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 17
- You think your student is well off? The... 9
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Sex education should start sooner,... 7