HELPER — The city's former mayor has been charged with two misdemeanors following his arrest last month for investigation of his third DUI.
Dean Lee Armstrong, 51, is charged in Helper City Justice Court with DUI and being an alcohol restricted driver, both class B misdemeanors.
Armstrong was arrested Feb. 22 and booked into the Carbon County Jail following a minor crash about 3:20 p.m. on Main Street in Helper, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. A breath test administered in the field showed Armstrong had a blood-alcohol content of .169, troopers said.
The statutory threshold for impairment in Utah is .08.
Armstrong resigned as mayor the day after his arrest. It was his second DUI arrest during his time in office, and his third since 1991.
On Nov. 16, 2011, a UHP trooper stopped Armstrong on Main Street in Price after the mayor rolled through a stop sign.
Armstrong pleaded guilty in June 2012 to impaired driving, failing to stop at a stop sign and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. He was ordered to pay a $1,600 fine, attend substance abuse counseling and wear an ankle monitor for 60 days.
State court records show Armstrong was also convicted in July 1991 of driving under the influence, a class B misdemeanor, in Salt Lake City Justice Court. Because the Salt Lake City conviction was more than 10 years ago, prosecutors could not file a felony DUI charge against Armstrong.
Armstrong's first court appearance in his most recent case has not yet been scheduled.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 31
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 20
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 18
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15