HELPER — The city's former mayor has been charged with two misdemeanors following his arrest last month for investigation of his third DUI.
Dean Lee Armstrong, 51, is charged in Helper City Justice Court with DUI and being an alcohol restricted driver, both class B misdemeanors.
Armstrong was arrested Feb. 22 and booked into the Carbon County Jail following a minor crash about 3:20 p.m. on Main Street in Helper, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. A breath test administered in the field showed Armstrong had a blood-alcohol content of .169, troopers said.
The statutory threshold for impairment in Utah is .08.
Armstrong resigned as mayor the day after his arrest. It was his second DUI arrest during his time in office, and his third since 1991.
On Nov. 16, 2011, a UHP trooper stopped Armstrong on Main Street in Price after the mayor rolled through a stop sign.
Armstrong pleaded guilty in June 2012 to impaired driving, failing to stop at a stop sign and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. He was ordered to pay a $1,600 fine, attend substance abuse counseling and wear an ankle monitor for 60 days.
State court records show Armstrong was also convicted in July 1991 of driving under the influence, a class B misdemeanor, in Salt Lake City Justice Court. Because the Salt Lake City conviction was more than 10 years ago, prosecutors could not file a felony DUI charge against Armstrong.
Armstrong's first court appearance in his most recent case has not yet been scheduled.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 111
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20