HELPER — The city's former mayor has been charged with two misdemeanors following his arrest last month for investigation of his third DUI.
Dean Lee Armstrong, 51, is charged in Helper City Justice Court with DUI and being an alcohol restricted driver, both class B misdemeanors.
Armstrong was arrested Feb. 22 and booked into the Carbon County Jail following a minor crash about 3:20 p.m. on Main Street in Helper, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. A breath test administered in the field showed Armstrong had a blood-alcohol content of .169, troopers said.
The statutory threshold for impairment in Utah is .08.
Armstrong resigned as mayor the day after his arrest. It was his second DUI arrest during his time in office, and his third since 1991.
On Nov. 16, 2011, a UHP trooper stopped Armstrong on Main Street in Price after the mayor rolled through a stop sign.
Armstrong pleaded guilty in June 2012 to impaired driving, failing to stop at a stop sign and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. He was ordered to pay a $1,600 fine, attend substance abuse counseling and wear an ankle monitor for 60 days.
State court records show Armstrong was also convicted in July 1991 of driving under the influence, a class B misdemeanor, in Salt Lake City Justice Court. Because the Salt Lake City conviction was more than 10 years ago, prosecutors could not file a felony DUI charge against Armstrong.
Armstrong's first court appearance in his most recent case has not yet been scheduled.
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Redefining college: How associate degrees...
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15