Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police arrested a man Monday who is accused of shooting and killing a man following an argument.
"The victim appeared to have been shot multiple times," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer.
Police were called to a home at 2363 S. Redwood Road about 11:40 p.m. Sunday. The initial 911 call came in to dispatchers as suspicious circumstances with shots fired, said Hauer. The first arriving officers found a deceased man on the floor in one of the rooms.
Other residents reported hearing multiple gunshots, Hauer said. The home is apparently rented out to several people by room, he said. Between six and 10 others are believed to live in the home.
"We believe one of the residents inside heard the shots and called police," he said.
The name of the victim, who was in his mid-40s, was not released.
Later Monday, detectives located the gun believed to have been used in the killing and arrested Roberto Tolajo Romero, 60. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder and obstruction of justice.
Hauer said interviews with residents led them to Romero.
Romero told police he had been in an argument with the victim, shot him, then fled, according to Hauer. Romero is the primary person of interest in the case, though there are other people police would like to talk to, Hauer said.
Hauer said police had been called to the residence in the past, but not for anything as serious as this.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11