Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police arrested a man Monday who is accused of shooting and killing a man following an argument.
"The victim appeared to have been shot multiple times," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer.
Police were called to a home at 2363 S. Redwood Road about 11:40 p.m. Sunday. The initial 911 call came in to dispatchers as suspicious circumstances with shots fired, said Hauer. The first arriving officers found a deceased man on the floor in one of the rooms.
Other residents reported hearing multiple gunshots, Hauer said. The home is apparently rented out to several people by room, he said. Between six and 10 others are believed to live in the home.
"We believe one of the residents inside heard the shots and called police," he said.
The name of the victim, who was in his mid-40s, was not released.
Later Monday, detectives located the gun believed to have been used in the killing and arrested Roberto Tolajo Romero, 60. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder and obstruction of justice.
Hauer said interviews with residents led them to Romero.
Romero told police he had been in an argument with the victim, shot him, then fled, according to Hauer. Romero is the primary person of interest in the case, though there are other people police would like to talk to, Hauer said.
Hauer said police had been called to the residence in the past, but not for anything as serious as this.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6
- D.A. declines to file charges against... 5