Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police arrested a man Monday who is accused of shooting and killing a man following an argument.
"The victim appeared to have been shot multiple times," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer.
Police were called to a home at 2363 S. Redwood Road about 11:40 p.m. Sunday. The initial 911 call came in to dispatchers as suspicious circumstances with shots fired, said Hauer. The first arriving officers found a deceased man on the floor in one of the rooms.
Other residents reported hearing multiple gunshots, Hauer said. The home is apparently rented out to several people by room, he said. Between six and 10 others are believed to live in the home.
"We believe one of the residents inside heard the shots and called police," he said.
The name of the victim, who was in his mid-40s, was not released.
Later Monday, detectives located the gun believed to have been used in the killing and arrested Roberto Tolajo Romero, 60. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder and obstruction of justice.
Hauer said interviews with residents led them to Romero.
Romero told police he had been in an argument with the victim, shot him, then fled, according to Hauer. Romero is the primary person of interest in the case, though there are other people police would like to talk to, Hauer said.
Hauer said police had been called to the residence in the past, but not for anything as serious as this.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 16
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15