Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police arrested a man Monday who is accused of shooting and killing a man following an argument.
"The victim appeared to have been shot multiple times," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer.
Police were called to a home at 2363 S. Redwood Road about 11:40 p.m. Sunday. The initial 911 call came in to dispatchers as suspicious circumstances with shots fired, said Hauer. The first arriving officers found a deceased man on the floor in one of the rooms.
Other residents reported hearing multiple gunshots, Hauer said. The home is apparently rented out to several people by room, he said. Between six and 10 others are believed to live in the home.
"We believe one of the residents inside heard the shots and called police," he said.
The name of the victim, who was in his mid-40s, was not released.
Later Monday, detectives located the gun believed to have been used in the killing and arrested Roberto Tolajo Romero, 60. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder and obstruction of justice.
Hauer said interviews with residents led them to Romero.
Romero told police he had been in an argument with the victim, shot him, then fled, according to Hauer. Romero is the primary person of interest in the case, though there are other people police would like to talk to, Hauer said.
Hauer said police had been called to the residence in the past, but not for anything as serious as this.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11