MURRAY — Crews were called to the scene of a fire in Murray Saturday apparently started by an overheated appliance.
The fire at Chemtech-Ford Laboratories, 6100 S. Stratler St. (400 West) was reported around 1 p.m., Murray Deputy Fire Marshal Russ Groves said. Apparently the owner of the lab had been cooking four types of acids at a high temperature to make bromine.
"His cooking appliance he was using to cook these acids to make the final product overheated," Groves said. "I believe it started in the thermostat, it overheated and actually caught the countertop on fire."
Three people were in the lab at the time and one of them smelled smoke before opening a window and calling 911.
Despite concerns about hazardous materials, no one was injured in the incident and the chemicals in use had been diluted, posing no risk to anyone in the area.
Groves said the fire appears to be an accident.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35