BANDON, Ore. — Utah Valley University's Stratton Schulz shot a 2-under par 69 Saturday at the Bradon Dunes Championship and the Wolverines moved up one spot heading into Sunday's final round.
With his round, Schulz moved up 45 spots from a tie in 90th to a tie for 55th.
"Stratton had a phenomenal round. He finished with three straight birdies," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "I'm really proud of the way he bounced back."
UVU's Mason Capser, who was tied for 12th after Day 1, shot a second-round 75 and dropped into a tie for 25th, and Michael Dart moved up one spot into a tie for 33rd with a 74.
"The scoreboard is pretty jampacked," Curran said. "We're in within a few shots of having a really nice finish, so we need to go out Sunday and put together a good round."
The Wolverines (597) are tied with Washington State in 11th. They are one shot back of UNC-Wilmington (596), two shots back of UC Davis (595), three shots back of third-ranked Washington (594) and four shots back of UCLA (593), which is in eighth.
The University of Colorado (577) leads the tournament at one-over par, and San Jose State is in second at 7-over par.
Byron Meth of the University of the Pacific leads the tournament at 4-under par.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13