BANDON, Ore. — Utah Valley University's Stratton Schulz shot a 2-under par 69 Saturday at the Bradon Dunes Championship and the Wolverines moved up one spot heading into Sunday's final round.
With his round, Schulz moved up 45 spots from a tie in 90th to a tie for 55th.
"Stratton had a phenomenal round. He finished with three straight birdies," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "I'm really proud of the way he bounced back."
UVU's Mason Capser, who was tied for 12th after Day 1, shot a second-round 75 and dropped into a tie for 25th, and Michael Dart moved up one spot into a tie for 33rd with a 74.
"The scoreboard is pretty jampacked," Curran said. "We're in within a few shots of having a really nice finish, so we need to go out Sunday and put together a good round."
The Wolverines (597) are tied with Washington State in 11th. They are one shot back of UNC-Wilmington (596), two shots back of UC Davis (595), three shots back of third-ranked Washington (594) and four shots back of UCLA (593), which is in eighth.
The University of Colorado (577) leads the tournament at one-over par, and San Jose State is in second at 7-over par.
Byron Meth of the University of the Pacific leads the tournament at 4-under par.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34