Dick Harmon: Holliday hire brings Cougs interesting personality
Finally comes trust. “Players have to be able to trust you and you need to trust them.”
Then he said something that might be filed in the recruiter folder as a non-BYU guy and outsider coming to Provo.
“I really embrace the core values of the university and the program. I admire that and it comes down to simply asking to do what is right. Some people are anti-honor code, but I think the honor code is just asking people to do what is right and I don’t think that is a religious thing or something we should see as a negative. I just think in today’s society, we just have to get young people to do what is right.”
Holliday says he came to join Mendenhall and Robert Anae because the offense will be up-tempo and throw the ball. “I know those things and I’ve had success doing them and that appealed to me.”
Mendenhall has five new offensive coaches roaming around the practice field this spring. Holliday is one of them, but may be the most intriguing. A man who lost his father early to the Vietnam War, he is part Samoan and very familiar with the African American culture as a player and coach. He’s had experiences as a professional that BYU specifically needs and must have.
“I like it,” he said of his first weeks in Provo.
“I’m having a good time. I love football.”
And in the end, that may be his best qualification.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 77
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14