She's living with albinism and is now telling the world
Utah teen's short film part of Qatar Film Festival
"It’s sad. When people see someone with albinism on the street, their only impression so far has been negative," Palmer said.
But Palmer is used to being an agent for change and accepting challenges.
The Utah chapter of the National Foundation for the Blind hired Palmer as a mentor for their Project STRIVE initiative when she was just 14. Project STRIVE — Successful Transition Requires Independence, Vocation & Education — is a program to give confidence to young people.
She also plays Goalball, a Paraylmpics sport for the blind similar to soccer, and was a member of Utah’s national championship winning team in the high school-age category in November.
“As parents we are extremely proud. When a child is born with a disability, there’s just no way of knowing what the future holds for them,” said Marla Palmer, Megan’s mother. “She’s spent her time bringing so much hope to the people around her. She reassures them it’s going to be OK.”
And her daughter’s new film, she said, is already beginning to make a difference.
“We even got a phone call from a Mom who saw the video,” Marla Palmer said. "She said, ‘we have a young daughter with Albinism, can we please meet up?’"
Palmer is trying to raise funds for a trip with her mom to the film festival’s award ceremony April 11-13 in Qatar. Those interested in her film can boost her chances at receiving the People’s Choice Award by viewing and sharing her YouTube video.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Huntsville man with unreported history of...
- Father, son make first court appearance in...
- Saved by the belt: Family recalls crash that...
- Cars, homes, police station damaged in...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 70
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 16