BYU basketball: Cougars crash out of West Coast Conference tournament
For most of the first half, Davies produced most of BYU's offense, scoring 11 points by intermission.
Haws, who played just 12 minutes in the first half after dealing with the flu this week, finally scored his first basket of the game with 3:30 left in the half, then quickly scored again to pull the Cougars to within six, 31-25.
"I'm a little under the weather," Haws said. "I guess we were just trying to save the minutes for the second half, but I felt fine. It's a matter of not being able to get a win tonight."
BYU trailed at halftime, 35-28, as it shot just 36 percent from the field. The Cougars also had seven turnovers in the first half.
"It was difficult in the first half. We did climb out of it a little bit," guard Craig Cusick said. "But all the credit in the world to San Diego, because their game plan and they way they executed made it difficult for us to get over that edge."
"We got off to a really good start in the game," Grier said. "We had a good flow about us in the first half. In the second half, we knew they were going to come out and ratchet it up, which they did."
NOTES: Announced attendance was 7,896 With 14:03 remaining, Carlino fellawkwardly, and hard, to the floor and appeared to injure his leg. He was escorted to the locker room, but returned shortly thereafter. He took the floor moments later Carlino wore bright blue shoes Friday night Forward Nate Austin started Friday in place of guard Craig Cusick to provide BYU a better rebounding presence. BYU outrebounded USD, 38-35.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19