BANDON, Ore. — The Utah Valley University men's golf team is in 12th place, three spots head of third-ranked Washington, after the opening round of the Bandon Dunes Championship on Friday.
Utah Valley's Mason Casper is tied for 15th after shooting an opening-round 1-over 73, while Michael Dart is tied for 34th after shooting an opening round 3-over 75.
"We played very average," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "We couldn't get a fourth score going. We had three guys play pretty solid for the conditions."
Casper recorded six birdies on the par-71, 6,902-yard Old Macdonald Course, but he also had two double-bogeys and three bogeys, while Dart, who triple-bogeyed the first hole, then shot even par on the final 17 holes for his +3.
Behind Casper and Dart, Brayden Eriksen recorded a 4-over 76 and is tied for 42nd, while Corey Eccles (+8) and Stratton Schulz (+11) are tied for 80th and 90th, respectively.
The Wolverines (+16) are 14 shots behind leader Oregon. Missouri-Kansas City (+17) and Colorado (+17) are tied for third.
Fresno State's Troix Tonkham and SMU's Harry Higgs are tied for first at 2-under par.
Day 2 of the three-day tournament is Saturday.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 33
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32