BANDON, Ore. — The Utah Valley University men's golf team is in 12th place, three spots head of third-ranked Washington, after the opening round of the Bandon Dunes Championship on Friday.
Utah Valley's Mason Casper is tied for 15th after shooting an opening-round 1-over 73, while Michael Dart is tied for 34th after shooting an opening round 3-over 75.
"We played very average," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "We couldn't get a fourth score going. We had three guys play pretty solid for the conditions."
Casper recorded six birdies on the par-71, 6,902-yard Old Macdonald Course, but he also had two double-bogeys and three bogeys, while Dart, who triple-bogeyed the first hole, then shot even par on the final 17 holes for his +3.
Behind Casper and Dart, Brayden Eriksen recorded a 4-over 76 and is tied for 42nd, while Corey Eccles (+8) and Stratton Schulz (+11) are tied for 80th and 90th, respectively.
The Wolverines (+16) are 14 shots behind leader Oregon. Missouri-Kansas City (+17) and Colorado (+17) are tied for third.
Fresno State's Troix Tonkham and SMU's Harry Higgs are tied for first at 2-under par.
Day 2 of the three-day tournament is Saturday.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 88
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 56
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 12