BANDON, Ore. — The Utah Valley University men's golf team is in 12th place, three spots head of third-ranked Washington, after the opening round of the Bandon Dunes Championship on Friday.
Utah Valley's Mason Casper is tied for 15th after shooting an opening-round 1-over 73, while Michael Dart is tied for 34th after shooting an opening round 3-over 75.
"We played very average," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "We couldn't get a fourth score going. We had three guys play pretty solid for the conditions."
Casper recorded six birdies on the par-71, 6,902-yard Old Macdonald Course, but he also had two double-bogeys and three bogeys, while Dart, who triple-bogeyed the first hole, then shot even par on the final 17 holes for his +3.
Behind Casper and Dart, Brayden Eriksen recorded a 4-over 76 and is tied for 42nd, while Corey Eccles (+8) and Stratton Schulz (+11) are tied for 80th and 90th, respectively.
The Wolverines (+16) are 14 shots behind leader Oregon. Missouri-Kansas City (+17) and Colorado (+17) are tied for third.
Fresno State's Troix Tonkham and SMU's Harry Higgs are tied for first at 2-under par.
Day 2 of the three-day tournament is Saturday.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28