BANDON, Ore. — The Utah Valley University men's golf team is in 12th place, three spots head of third-ranked Washington, after the opening round of the Bandon Dunes Championship on Friday.
Utah Valley's Mason Casper is tied for 15th after shooting an opening-round 1-over 73, while Michael Dart is tied for 34th after shooting an opening round 3-over 75.
"We played very average," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "We couldn't get a fourth score going. We had three guys play pretty solid for the conditions."
Casper recorded six birdies on the par-71, 6,902-yard Old Macdonald Course, but he also had two double-bogeys and three bogeys, while Dart, who triple-bogeyed the first hole, then shot even par on the final 17 holes for his +3.
Behind Casper and Dart, Brayden Eriksen recorded a 4-over 76 and is tied for 42nd, while Corey Eccles (+8) and Stratton Schulz (+11) are tied for 80th and 90th, respectively.
The Wolverines (+16) are 14 shots behind leader Oregon. Missouri-Kansas City (+17) and Colorado (+17) are tied for third.
Fresno State's Troix Tonkham and SMU's Harry Higgs are tied for first at 2-under par.
Day 2 of the three-day tournament is Saturday.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44