BANDON, Ore. — The Utah Valley University men's golf team is in 12th place, three spots head of third-ranked Washington, after the opening round of the Bandon Dunes Championship on Friday.
Utah Valley's Mason Casper is tied for 15th after shooting an opening-round 1-over 73, while Michael Dart is tied for 34th after shooting an opening round 3-over 75.
"We played very average," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "We couldn't get a fourth score going. We had three guys play pretty solid for the conditions."
Casper recorded six birdies on the par-71, 6,902-yard Old Macdonald Course, but he also had two double-bogeys and three bogeys, while Dart, who triple-bogeyed the first hole, then shot even par on the final 17 holes for his +3.
Behind Casper and Dart, Brayden Eriksen recorded a 4-over 76 and is tied for 42nd, while Corey Eccles (+8) and Stratton Schulz (+11) are tied for 80th and 90th, respectively.
The Wolverines (+16) are 14 shots behind leader Oregon. Missouri-Kansas City (+17) and Colorado (+17) are tied for third.
Fresno State's Troix Tonkham and SMU's Harry Higgs are tied for first at 2-under par.
Day 2 of the three-day tournament is Saturday.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 30
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22