FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The Utah Valley University softball team could muster just one hit off University of Arkansas pitchers Chelsea Cohen and Kimmy Beasley, falling 3-0 in game one of the three-game series.
The Cohen-Beasley combo was enough to offset another quality outing for UVU (5-7) pitcher Tiffany Mills. The senior threw 6.0 innings and allowed just two earned runs with six strikeouts, but was undone by a two-out, two-run homer off the bat of Devon Wallace in the bottom of the fourth inning.
"Tiffany threw another great game," Wolverine head coach Rachel Hartrgove said. "We just didn't back her up with our bats tonight. We've got to find a way to get going at the plate and hopefully we can bounce back tomorrow."
Wallace, the reigning SEC Player of the Week, went 1-for-1 on the night with the big blast, her eighth of the season. Wallace also drew three walks in the contest. The remainder of the Razorback (17-6) squad scraped together only three additional hits against Mills for the evening, none for extra bases.
Junior first baseman Amanda Robinson finished with the lone hit in the ballgame for UVU, driving a single out into left field in the top of the fourth. Unfortunately, Robinson was left stranded as Debra Lovell flied out to end the inning.
Arkansas got on the board in the top of the second inning when a two-out, Sierra Bronkey single brought Claire Clark all the way around from second.
The 3-0 defeat stands as the first time this season the Wolverines have been shutout.
With the loss, Mills falls to 4-4, while Cohen improves to 8-2 on the season for Arkansas. Game two of the series gets underway Saturday at 1 p.m. MT.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24