EUGENE, Ore. — The BYU women’s tennis team fell to Oregon 5-2 on Friday in its first of two matches this weekend.
“Oregon played well today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “They came out strong and played to win.”
The Ducks (9-1) took the first point of the match as they won on Courts 1 and 2 in doubles play. Nicole Long and Patricia Skowronski defeated Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran on Court 1. Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox dropped just their second match of the season 8-4.
In singles play, Long quickly beat Desiree Tran 6-1, 6-0 on Court 1. Anderson also fell on Court 2 to Skowronski 6-4, 6-1.
Oregon clinched the victory as it won on Courts 3 and 5.
The Cougars (5-3) scored two points from Nicolette Tran and Aubrey Paul as they each earned default wins after the Ducks secured the victory.
BYU plays No. 55 Denver on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. PST in Oregon.
1. Skowronski/Long (ORE) def. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) 8-2
2. Metzger/Neubert (ORE) def. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) 8-4Comment on this story
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) vs. Hager/Hughes (ORE) 6-5 (DNF)
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. Nicole Long (ORE) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Patricia Skowronski (ORE) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Julia Metzger (ORE) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Sofia Hager (ORE) 4-6, 2-4 (Ret.)
5. Lana Buttner (ORE) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 6-0, 7-6(2)
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Rabea Stueckemann (ORE) 6-3, 4-2 (Ret.)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.