SALT LAKE CITY – The 16th-ranked Westminster College women’s lacrosse team picked up a 22-9 win over Utah Valley in the team’s home opener on Friday evening at Dumke Field.
Westminster (4-2) got back-to-back goals from Lilly Sybrant and Kaicee Beal to take an early 2-1 lead with 27:32 left in the first half. After Utah Valley (2-3) tied the game at 2-2, the Griffins scored the next eight goals of the game to open up a 10-2 advantage with 7:56 remaining in the half. Beal would score her sixth goal of the half right before the horn to lead the Griffins to a 14-5 advantage at intermission.
Maggie HerrNeckar would put two goals on the board for the Griffins in between two different sets of back-to-back goals from Utah Valley. The fourth UVU goal of the half came with 20:47 to play and trimmed the Westminster lead to 16-9. That would be as close as it would get the rest of the way as the Griffins finished with the final six goals of the contest to earn the win.
HerrNeckar finished with seven goals and three assists for 10 points. The seven goals match her career high and are tied for fourth-most in a game by any Westminster player. She took 11 shots in the game and also had six draw controls and four ground balls. Beal added three assists to her six first-half goals for nine points. Dana Barraco and Sybrant finished with three goals apiece.
The 22 goals scored by the Griffins are second-most in a game in school history, and this is the third straight game they have topped the 20-goal mark against Utah Valley. The Griffins matched the school-record with 13 assists, while taking a school-best 44 total shots. Westminster had a 19-8 advantage in draw controls and forced 23 UVU turnovers.
The Griffins will return to action on March 17 when they host Colorado in the first Rocky Mountain Women’s Lacrosse League game of the season. The action from Dumke Field will begin at 11 a.m.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45