The church will not be directly involved in any legislation, he said.
“But we will make sure the values we stand for are clearly understood,” he added, “and we hope that legislation will reflect those values.”
As a result of the meeting, President Uchtdorf said, "I hope that a lot of the people who are thinking of this as a political issue will look more at the human side of this topic — that while they focus on enforcing the law, they also make sure that we are compassionate in our approaches and that we are strengthening our families in a common sense way."
In addition to President Uchtdorf, the other faith leaders invited to the meeting included:
Leith Anderson, National Association of Evangelicals
Stephen Bauman, president and CEO of World Relief
Bishop Minerva Carcaño, United Methodist Church
Rev. Luis Cortés, president, Esperanza
Barrett Duke, Southern Baptist Convention
Bishop Orlando Findlayter, senior pastor, New Hope Christian Fellowship
Archbishop José Horacio Gomez, Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Mark Hetfield, president and CEO, Hebrew Immigrant Aid Study
Rev. Kathryn Lohre, National Council of Churches
Imam Mohamed Magid, president, Islamic Society of North America
Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, president, National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference
Rev. Gabriel Salguero, president, National Latino Evangelical Coalition
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 106
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 63
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 20
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 8