Sharing family history is about gathering the personal stories that our families share between each other and from generation to generation. Here are some tips to actively seek out family stories and share your own through finding the opportunity to share them with others.
Collect and share family histories
When an ancestor does not have his or her history written, research and write their history for them.
Make copies for other family members. It is amazing how many of the family want to have these histories.
Find opportunities to tell stories about your life and the lives of your ancestors.
Integrate facts and dates with interesting information, humorous details and unusual facts about real people.
Make telling these stories a common occurrence around the dinner table, in the car or at bedtime.
Tell stories of ancestors who traveled across the ocean and trekked out to the Wild West, or who stayed in the East and started a whole town or built bridges.
Young children like to act out stories, so tell adventure stories of your ancestors in times of war, migration and immigration. Tell princess and knight stories about how your ancestors met and got married.
Teens like stories about friends, relationships and moral judgments. Teenagers can relate to and apply these situations in their lives now.
Tell stories of personal conflict, ethical decisions and moral choices.
Children who are more than 20 years old have an interest in your life experiences. They are interested in knowing about you. Who are you and why? What influence did those from generations past have in your life?
Barry J. Ewell is author of "Family Treasures: 15 Lessons, Tips, and Tricks for Discovering your Family History" and founder of MyGenShare.com, an online educational website for genealogy and family history.
- Gunman caught after shooting father-in-law in...
- My husband Alex Boye grilled in UK for 'I'm a...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- Survey: Gay and lesbian population has unique...
- Supreme Court ruling 50 years ago set modern...
- MTC overflows with LDS missionaries, moves...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Ziggurats are temple...
- LDS Church releases statement about Colorado...
- Defending the Faith: What about those... 38
- Survey: Gay and lesbian population has... 38
- My husband Alex Boye grilled in UK for... 30
- Ask Angela: He never pays for anything... 22
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is... 10
- Supreme Court ruling 50 years ago set... 7
- Hamblin & Peterson: Ziggurats are... 4