The animated, vocal leader of the Utes expects his final home game to be emotional.
“Everyone knows my love and passion for this place and all the hell I’ve went through,” said Washburn, who had 55 teammates and two coaching staffs in his tenure at Utah. “Between the 1,000-points this weekend and being here one last time it’ll almost feel like something good came out of my perseverance. I always told myself if I stuck around there would be.”
Krystkowiak praises Washburn for being cut of the right stuff and for trying to do the right things.
“I think Jason’s made some great strides with his game,” he said, while expressing a desire to have Washburn finish off on a high note Saturday.
The Oregon game will be his 120th with the Utes. Saying goodbye won’t be easy, he admits, after five years in the program.
“I don’t want to talk about that,” Washburn said. “That’s just not something I’m ready to comprehend until I absolutely have to face it.”
The all-conference candidate leads the Utes in scoring (13.1 ppg) and rebounding (7.9 rpg) in Pac-12 play.
Utes on the air
No. 19 Oregon (23-7, 12-5) at Utah (12-17, 4-13)
Saturday, 12:30 p.m.
TV: Pac-12 Networks
Radio: ESPN 700AM
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15