Utah gymnastics: No. 7 Red Rocks hope recent road success will translate at No. 8 Georgia
Marsden added that while many of Utah’s gymnasts may not have competed in Georgia, they have endured some high-pressure situations: UCLA and Arizona. “I know after our UCLA meet there was some talk from the girls about (the hostile crowd),” she said. “There was a student section, and it was right there at bars, and they were very vocal and not very nice. The fact that they brought that up tells us coaches that it had some affect on them.”
Utah had three falls on bars that night and ended up losing the meet. But in the Arizona meet, Utah earned its highest beam score of the year — 49.275.
“Beam and bars are our weaker events for this team,” Marsden said. "We tend to have a leg team, meaning power events seem to be our strength. ... If we hit on all cylinders, we can be a 49.3 team. And have we done that? No. But we had one meet that we’ve been very close, and it was a road meet.”
She said every team has weaknesses and this year’s group has been working hard to be stronger on bars and beam.
“That’s not unusual,” she said of having one area that’s weaker for a group. “It’s something we coaches deal with all of the time. We’re just glad there are still time and practices to continue to address it.”
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24