Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando nominated for pair of Utah Governor's State of Sport awards
Nick Rimando has been nominated for two 2013 Utah Governor's State of Sport awards.
Real Salt Lake's starting goalkeeper is one of six up for the pro male athlete of the year award. Additionally, Rimando's performance in the first leg of the 2012 MLS playoffs against Seattle Sounders FC was nominated for the state of Utah's award for 2013 highlight of the year.
In the Nov. 2 match vs. the Sounders, Rimando endured a furious stretch in the first half in which he made three successive split-second reaction saves, deflecting two out of bounds for corner kicks. The match ended in a 0-0 draw.
The other nominees for 2013 male athlete of the year include Super Bowl winners Paul Kruger and Haloti Ngata, Stanley Cup winner Trevor Lewis, PGA tour pro Daniel Summerhays and PRCA Rodeo Champion Jesse Wright. Rimando is the only athlete up for the award that plays for an instate team, though Rimando himself is a native of California.
Rimando delivered a strong performance during the 2012 season, finishing near the top of the league in goals-against average, wins and shutouts. Rimando also finished fourth in the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting, and last Sunday's road shutout vs. the San Jose Earthquakes made Rimando the second MLS goalkeeper ever to notch 100 total shutouts.
The Governor's State of Sport Awards are open to fan balloting. Nine winners in nine different categories will be selected. The winners will be announced in a luncheon to be held April 16, 2013, at the Zions Bank Basketball Center in South Salt Lake City.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37