Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando nominated for pair of Utah Governor's State of Sport awards
Nick Rimando has been nominated for two 2013 Utah Governor's State of Sport awards.
Real Salt Lake's starting goalkeeper is one of six up for the pro male athlete of the year award. Additionally, Rimando's performance in the first leg of the 2012 MLS playoffs against Seattle Sounders FC was nominated for the state of Utah's award for 2013 highlight of the year.
In the Nov. 2 match vs. the Sounders, Rimando endured a furious stretch in the first half in which he made three successive split-second reaction saves, deflecting two out of bounds for corner kicks. The match ended in a 0-0 draw.
The other nominees for 2013 male athlete of the year include Super Bowl winners Paul Kruger and Haloti Ngata, Stanley Cup winner Trevor Lewis, PGA tour pro Daniel Summerhays and PRCA Rodeo Champion Jesse Wright. Rimando is the only athlete up for the award that plays for an instate team, though Rimando himself is a native of California.
Rimando delivered a strong performance during the 2012 season, finishing near the top of the league in goals-against average, wins and shutouts. Rimando also finished fourth in the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting, and last Sunday's road shutout vs. the San Jose Earthquakes made Rimando the second MLS goalkeeper ever to notch 100 total shutouts.
The Governor's State of Sport Awards are open to fan balloting. Nine winners in nine different categories will be selected. The winners will be announced in a luncheon to be held April 16, 2013, at the Zions Bank Basketball Center in South Salt Lake City.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33