LAS VEGAS — For the first time in its history, Gonzaga is the No. 1 team in the nation, and the Bulldogs are looking to lock down a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
But so far, the biggest story of the West Coast Conference tournament is lowly, last-place Loyola Marymount.
The No. 9 seed Lions, who won only one WCC game during the two-month regular season, have doubled that win total in two days at the Orleans Arena.
LMU snapped a 14-game losing streak by knocking off No. 8 seed Portland Wednesday. Then Thursday, the Lions upset No. 5 San Francisco in overtime, 61-60.
That propelled LMU into the quarterfinals Friday against No. 4 Santa Clara. The Lions are one victory away from meeting top-seed Gonzaga in the semifinals Saturday night.
The Zags, meanwhile, won't make an appearance at the WCC tournament until the semifinals.
Gonzaga (29-2) is riding a 12-game winning streak.
"They're good. They're one of the best teams we've played since I've been here," BYU coach Dave Rose said last week after falling to the Bulldogs at home, 70-65. "It's kind of comparable to the North Carolina team we played in Vegas a few years ago that ended up winning the national championship. I hope we get a chance to play them again in Vegas."
The Bulldogs have won 12 regular-season WCC titles in 13 years.
However, the top seed in the WCC tournament has won the championship just twice in the last five years (Gonzaga in 2009 and Saint Mary's in 2012).
WCC AND THE RPI: The Ratings Percentage Index is a factor considered by the NCAA selection committee to determine the NCAA tournament field.
Every Monday, the NCAA releases an official updated RPI ranking for all Division I teams.
Here's where WCC ranked as of last Monday: Gonzaga (9), Saint Mary's (37), BYU (59), Santa Clara (93), San Francisco (154), San Diego (182), Pepperdine (207), Portland (222) and Loyola Marymount (255).
WCC HOSTING NCAAS: For the first time in league history, the WCC will host NCAA tournament games.
The WCC plays host to the second and third rounds of the NCAA tournament March 21 and 23 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early lead,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth's knee...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 62
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 51
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24