GOP lawmakers' budget priorities don't include governor's initiative
Kory Holdaway, government relations director for the Utah Education Association, was pleased with much of what he saw on the GOP list, especially the funding for enrollment growth and the 2 percent increase in the state funding formula.
The more than $100 million in new, ongoing funding for public education, he said, "is a big deal and very appreciated."
But Holdaway expressed concern that lawmakers didn't address the federal funds being lost by school districts as the result of the automatic budget cuts known as sequestration that took effect March 1.
The cuts, estimated at $9 million or more, largely will be felt by schools that serve low-income students and special education programs. Legislative leaders have said the state would not step in to make up lost federal dollars.
"I am a little disappointed that the Legislature has chosen to ignore the decrease," Holdaway said. "The local districts are going to have to raise that on their own."
Democrats, seeing the list for the first time Thursday, expressed frustration over what items weren't included.
Rep. Patrice Arent, D-Millcreek, said funding for the Sundance Film Festival and other Democratic priorities discussed in the Business, Economic Development and Labor Appropriations Subcommittee didn't make the final GOP cut.
The Republican's list for that subcommittee included everything from $1.5 million for state-controlled liquor stores to $95,000 for the Utah Marriage Commission, which would be enshrined into state law under pending legislation.
"I just don't even know what to say on this budget," Arent said. "This is a very different list in a lot of ways than what we saw."
Contributing: Dennis Romboy, Ben Wood and Mary Mellor
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- New barriers, other security measures to...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 47
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 32
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 21
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 15
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12