Provo-Orem, Ogden-Clearfield areas top worst-paying list for women
Culture may be more at play than dollars
"What we always try to emphasize with job seekers is to be aware of differences in pay for different occupations," Mayne said. "Be educated on what a job really pays, be realistic about what things pay."
Women dominate in healthcare support occupations as well as teaching, Mayne said.
The 24/7 Wall Street analysis also looked at employment composition by sector. It found the women in Ogden-Clearfield and Orem-Provo working in personal care and service occupations experienced the largest pay gap, with women making 40 percent of what men are paid in Ogden-Clearfield and 44 percent in Orem-Provo.
Marshall, for one, would not have been considered in the study, but she reported that she makes more than her husband and feels she is paid fairly and equally to her colleagues as a nurse. She said the real difference between her pay and her husband's is not gender, but the jobs they chose. Her job in health care simply pays more than her husband's job in social work.
Zach Bitner, a sales manager at BrainStorm Inc., a software training company in American Fork, said there are more male employees than female employees at the company but said that is reflected in the applications they receive. He, too, pointed to the impact of more women potentially choosing to stay home in Utah County.
BrainStorm Inc., though, which was recognized with a 2012 Utah Work/Life Award by the Utah Department of Workforce Services, focuses on employee performance, not gender.
"I wouldn't be so naive to say it (the gender pay gap) doesn't potentially exist, but in a small organization it probably exists less than it would in a larger corporation," Bitner said.
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- State lawmaker calling for criminal probe...
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- Summit County sees credit card breach after...
- Amish country bristles at ‘Mafia’...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- Paul Mero steps down as head of... 9
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 4
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Park City Mountain Resort and Talisker... 3
- Dave Ramsey says: Government unlikely... 3
- Utah board approves winery in... 3