Provo-Orem, Ogden-Clearfield areas top worst-paying list for women
Culture may be more at play than dollars
"What we always try to emphasize with job seekers is to be aware of differences in pay for different occupations," Mayne said. "Be educated on what a job really pays, be realistic about what things pay."
Women dominate in healthcare support occupations as well as teaching, Mayne said.
The 24/7 Wall Street analysis also looked at employment composition by sector. It found the women in Ogden-Clearfield and Orem-Provo working in personal care and service occupations experienced the largest pay gap, with women making 40 percent of what men are paid in Ogden-Clearfield and 44 percent in Orem-Provo.
Marshall, for one, would not have been considered in the study, but she reported that she makes more than her husband and feels she is paid fairly and equally to her colleagues as a nurse. She said the real difference between her pay and her husband's is not gender, but the jobs they chose. Her job in health care simply pays more than her husband's job in social work.
Zach Bitner, a sales manager at BrainStorm Inc., a software training company in American Fork, said there are more male employees than female employees at the company but said that is reflected in the applications they receive. He, too, pointed to the impact of more women potentially choosing to stay home in Utah County.
BrainStorm Inc., though, which was recognized with a 2012 Utah Work/Life Award by the Utah Department of Workforce Services, focuses on employee performance, not gender.
"I wouldn't be so naive to say it (the gender pay gap) doesn't potentially exist, but in a small organization it probably exists less than it would in a larger corporation," Bitner said.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Contractor fined for employing children in...
- Vivint, SolarCity to create 7,000 jobs over...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for upward...
- Is paying for extended warranties worth it?...
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a...
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a... 11
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 10
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Sex and violence harm rather than help... 5
- Court orders EPA to relax air-pollution... 4
- Contractor fined for employing children... 4
- Fed is likely to delay 1st rate hike in... 3