Nick Wass, AP
The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new series of rules effective this fall with the 2013 football season, including an automatic ejection for players who target defenseless receivers above the shoulders.
Under the new rule, if a player is ejected after the first half, he will be required to sit out the first half of the next contest. A potential ejection is allowed to be reviewed through video replay, and a referee must have conclusive evidence in order to overturn the ejection.
The panel rejected a rule requiring uniform colors to be different from the color of the field of play, and also rejected a rule to move the down and distance markers to the other side of the field for the second half.
Additional rule changes that will also take place according the NCAA:
- There will be a 10-second runoff with less than a minute remaining in either half when the sole reason for the clock stoppage is because of injury.
- Three seconds is the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock. If one or two seconds remain on the clock, there is only time for the offense to run one more play.
- A player that changes numbers during the game is required to report this to the referee, who will announce it. Two players from the same team will not be allowed to wear the same uniform number.
- Electronic communication by the on-field officiating crew is allowed but not required.
- Instant replay can be used to adjust the clock at the end of each quarter. Previously, this provision was in place only for the end of each half.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48