Nick Wass, AP
The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new series of rules effective this fall with the 2013 football season, including an automatic ejection for players who target defenseless receivers above the shoulders.
Under the new rule, if a player is ejected after the first half, he will be required to sit out the first half of the next contest. A potential ejection is allowed to be reviewed through video replay, and a referee must have conclusive evidence in order to overturn the ejection.
The panel rejected a rule requiring uniform colors to be different from the color of the field of play, and also rejected a rule to move the down and distance markers to the other side of the field for the second half.
Additional rule changes that will also take place according the NCAA:
- There will be a 10-second runoff with less than a minute remaining in either half when the sole reason for the clock stoppage is because of injury.
- Three seconds is the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock. If one or two seconds remain on the clock, there is only time for the offense to run one more play.
- A player that changes numbers during the game is required to report this to the referee, who will announce it. Two players from the same team will not be allowed to wear the same uniform number.
- Electronic communication by the on-field officiating crew is allowed but not required.
- Instant replay can be used to adjust the clock at the end of each quarter. Previously, this provision was in place only for the end of each half.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 32
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30