Nick Wass, AP
The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a new series of rules effective this fall with the 2013 football season, including an automatic ejection for players who target defenseless receivers above the shoulders.
Under the new rule, if a player is ejected after the first half, he will be required to sit out the first half of the next contest. A potential ejection is allowed to be reviewed through video replay, and a referee must have conclusive evidence in order to overturn the ejection.
The panel rejected a rule requiring uniform colors to be different from the color of the field of play, and also rejected a rule to move the down and distance markers to the other side of the field for the second half.
Additional rule changes that will also take place according the NCAA:
- There will be a 10-second runoff with less than a minute remaining in either half when the sole reason for the clock stoppage is because of injury.
- Three seconds is the minimum amount of time required to be on the game clock in order to spike the ball to stop the clock. If one or two seconds remain on the clock, there is only time for the offense to run one more play.
- A player that changes numbers during the game is required to report this to the referee, who will announce it. Two players from the same team will not be allowed to wear the same uniform number.
- Electronic communication by the on-field officiating crew is allowed but not required.
- Instant replay can be used to adjust the clock at the end of each quarter. Previously, this provision was in place only for the end of each half.
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former BYU wide receiver...
- BYU's Mendenhall on the cusp of embarking on...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Whittingham's second decade at the helm of...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 89
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- High school football: Parry's Power... 23