Tumbleweeds Film Festival blows in films for children, families
Utah Film Center
The Tumbleweeds Film Festival, oriented toward children and youths, will give families a unique taste of cinema from around the world. The festival will take place March 15-17 at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, 138 W. Broadway, and showcases 11 feature-length films from seven countries, including Latvia, Germany and Ireland.
"There are great films being made around the world that (families) may not be aware of," said Patrick Hubley, the artistic director for the festival.
The films will include "A Monster in Paris," a French film set in 1910 that tells the story of a movie projectionist and a colorful inventor who find themselves on the hunt for a monster terrorizing citizens, and "Gattu," an Indian film depicting a young Indian orphan's journey as he strives to defeat the mysterious black kite that dominates the sky above his kite-obsessed community.
"Every film is great," Hubley said. "We're showing our first film from India. ... It will be in Indian with English subtitles. Monster in Paris is a really beautiful film with great music. It's from the same guy that directed 'Shark Tale.'"
In addition to the screenings, the Utah Film Center and Spy Hop Productions will present workshops designed to introduce participants to different aspects of filmmaking, including an animation workshop March 16 from 1-5 p.m. A kid's clubhouse with activities and a creative capsule will also be present throughout the festival.
According to the festival's website, the purpose is to present "films that inspire, engage and connect the children and youth of our community through international and independent film screenings and creative workshops."
Films are $6 for regular times, $7.50 for opening night films and $32.50 for workshops. All tickets can be purchased online or at the Rose Wagner box office.
For more information or to view age recommendations for each film, visit www.utahfilmcenter.org/tumbleweeds.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1