Charles Krupa, AP
States are offering ways to get out of state tuition at a cheaper cost, according to an article by Bankrate.
For students, this provides a more affordable education in comparison to the cost that out-of-state tuition usually is — twice the price. For universities, it helps fill the fiscal gaps as budget cuts to states are made.
Here are ways to cut down or eliminate those costs:
Some universities offer waivers for nonresidents. These students generally must have GPAs of 3.75 or higher. Sometimes, like in the case of Idaho State University, the waivers are only issued for those who are trying to enter a program that doesn’t have a wait list full of in-state students.
This is a contract between states that allow residents to attend school for a member state at a reduced price. There are varying requirements depending on the state and school.
Schools that are close across the border from where you live sometimes still qualify for in-state tuition. Students wanting this option should apply early.
Resident requirements differ for each state, but generally you can gain residency by living in a state a year or two before college starts.
There are various loopholes that some Universities offer like Mississippi State University, dropping half of out-of-state costs for sons and daughters of alumni who keep GPA 3.0 or higher. Contact financial aid office to learn more about out-of-state reductions.
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for upward...
- Is paying for extended warranties worth it?...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a...
- Michelle Singletary: So your son wants to buy...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't working for...
- Dave Ramsey says: There's no such thing... 12
- Job insecurity is the new normal.... 11
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a... 11
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 11
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Is paying for extended warranties worth... 2
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 1
- Most children in the world are happy,... 1