Charles Krupa, AP
States are offering ways to get out of state tuition at a cheaper cost, according to an article by Bankrate.
For students, this provides a more affordable education in comparison to the cost that out-of-state tuition usually is — twice the price. For universities, it helps fill the fiscal gaps as budget cuts to states are made.
Here are ways to cut down or eliminate those costs:
Some universities offer waivers for nonresidents. These students generally must have GPAs of 3.75 or higher. Sometimes, like in the case of Idaho State University, the waivers are only issued for those who are trying to enter a program that doesn’t have a wait list full of in-state students.
This is a contract between states that allow residents to attend school for a member state at a reduced price. There are varying requirements depending on the state and school.
Schools that are close across the border from where you live sometimes still qualify for in-state tuition. Students wanting this option should apply early.
Resident requirements differ for each state, but generally you can gain residency by living in a state a year or two before college starts.
There are various loopholes that some Universities offer like Mississippi State University, dropping half of out-of-state costs for sons and daughters of alumni who keep GPA 3.0 or higher. Contact financial aid office to learn more about out-of-state reductions.
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 46
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 32
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 6
- Child poverty just dropped for the... 4
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 4