Charles Krupa, AP
States are offering ways to get out of state tuition at a cheaper cost, according to an article by Bankrate.
For students, this provides a more affordable education in comparison to the cost that out-of-state tuition usually is — twice the price. For universities, it helps fill the fiscal gaps as budget cuts to states are made.
Here are ways to cut down or eliminate those costs:
Some universities offer waivers for nonresidents. These students generally must have GPAs of 3.75 or higher. Sometimes, like in the case of Idaho State University, the waivers are only issued for those who are trying to enter a program that doesn’t have a wait list full of in-state students.
This is a contract between states that allow residents to attend school for a member state at a reduced price. There are varying requirements depending on the state and school.
Schools that are close across the border from where you live sometimes still qualify for in-state tuition. Students wanting this option should apply early.
Resident requirements differ for each state, but generally you can gain residency by living in a state a year or two before college starts.
There are various loopholes that some Universities offer like Mississippi State University, dropping half of out-of-state costs for sons and daughters of alumni who keep GPA 3.0 or higher. Contact financial aid office to learn more about out-of-state reductions.
- Balancing act: List of top work-from-home...
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Recent college graduates feeling the pinch of...
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats...
- Why small businesses want a higher minimum wage
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- The top money problems in America
- Seen the future of affordable housing? It...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 51
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 13
- Why small businesses want a higher... 9
- Recent college graduates feeling the... 9
- Dave Ramsey says: Being debt-free beats... 6
- 9 things to never buy at yard sales 4
- Delete, avoid and hang up when it comes... 1