Charles Krupa, AP
States are offering ways to get out of state tuition at a cheaper cost, according to an article by Bankrate.
For students, this provides a more affordable education in comparison to the cost that out-of-state tuition usually is — twice the price. For universities, it helps fill the fiscal gaps as budget cuts to states are made.
Here are ways to cut down or eliminate those costs:
Some universities offer waivers for nonresidents. These students generally must have GPAs of 3.75 or higher. Sometimes, like in the case of Idaho State University, the waivers are only issued for those who are trying to enter a program that doesn’t have a wait list full of in-state students.
This is a contract between states that allow residents to attend school for a member state at a reduced price. There are varying requirements depending on the state and school.
Schools that are close across the border from where you live sometimes still qualify for in-state tuition. Students wanting this option should apply early.
Resident requirements differ for each state, but generally you can gain residency by living in a state a year or two before college starts.
There are various loopholes that some Universities offer like Mississippi State University, dropping half of out-of-state costs for sons and daughters of alumni who keep GPA 3.0 or higher. Contact financial aid office to learn more about out-of-state reductions.
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- 10 Great Gift Ideas for People Who Have...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- 7 financial lessons from classic Christmas...
- Smart Spending: Buy these items after Christmas
- What managing money has taught me about...
- Are Americans investing or speculating on a...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure... 84
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Insurance agents feeling left out of... 8
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop... 8
- What do the new jobs numbers mean? 7
- What managing money has taught me about... 5