“Oz the Great and Powerful” doesn’t disappoint when it comes to visuals and special effects, and the 3-D elements help the audience feel as if they are transported into Oz right along with the wizard.
The characters are also kept fairly consistent. In “Oz the Great and Powerful,” the wicked witch again uses the classic and always-terrifying flying primates to unleash her wrath. Glinda the good is just as charming and has a bit more depth than the first.
In “The Wizard of Oz,” we see a jaded old man who has put on an act for years, so it’s interesting to see the backstory and young Oscar Diggs mirroring the techniques of his future self, such as communicating through a cloud of smoke projected to the viewers as Oz stands behind a curtain.
Producing a movie that makes a lasting impression on its audience is difficult. Sometimes, films just have to stand the test of time.
Aside from appealing characters and a gripping plot line, there is something else that should be brought to the table: originality.
“We’ve got to see something new,” Perry said. “Even ‘Napoleon Dynamite’ was successful because it was something new. A modern classic happens when we’re shown a new world full of engaging characters that pull us into that world and make us want to be there.”
Megan Marsden is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She is currently a junior at BYU-Idaho studying communication. The views of the writer do not reflect the views of BYU-Idaho.
- The Clean Cut: Dude Perfect takes on 11 world...
- The Clean Cut: 10-year-old girl performs on...
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- The generation that didn't rush to get...
- Status update: Look at my kid
- The best of summer books for the whole family
- 'All bodies matter': How body-shaming makes...
- The generation that didn't rush to get... 10
- Hruska's Kolaches: BYU alumni introduce... 9
- ... 5
- Why discussions about sex should begin... 3
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: How Alex... 2
- Movie review: Overstuffed 'X-Men:... 2
- Study: It is harmless to let babies cry... 2
- South Jordan mother spends days caring... 1