“Oz the Great and Powerful” doesn’t disappoint when it comes to visuals and special effects, and the 3-D elements help the audience feel as if they are transported into Oz right along with the wizard.
The characters are also kept fairly consistent. In “Oz the Great and Powerful,” the wicked witch again uses the classic and always-terrifying flying primates to unleash her wrath. Glinda the good is just as charming and has a bit more depth than the first.
In “The Wizard of Oz,” we see a jaded old man who has put on an act for years, so it’s interesting to see the backstory and young Oscar Diggs mirroring the techniques of his future self, such as communicating through a cloud of smoke projected to the viewers as Oz stands behind a curtain.
Producing a movie that makes a lasting impression on its audience is difficult. Sometimes, films just have to stand the test of time.
Aside from appealing characters and a gripping plot line, there is something else that should be brought to the table: originality.
“We’ve got to see something new,” Perry said. “Even ‘Napoleon Dynamite’ was successful because it was something new. A modern classic happens when we’re shown a new world full of engaging characters that pull us into that world and make us want to be there.”
Megan Marsden is an intern with the Deseret News writing for the Faith & Family section. She is currently a junior at BYU-Idaho studying communication. The views of the writer do not reflect the views of BYU-Idaho.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 57
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2