USU basketball: Aggies open the final week of the regular season at Texas State Thursday
Utah State women’s basketball (16-11, 13-3 WAC) begins its final regular-season road trip of the year traveling to the Lone Star State. The Aggies head to Texas State (9-18, 3-13 WAC) to play Thursday, March 7 at 5:30 p.m. (MT).
This is the third meeting between the Bobcats and the Aggies. On Dec. 31, Utah State defeated Texas State, 82-69, in Logan. In that game, both senior guard Devyn Christensen and senior guard Jenna Johnson scored 19 points in the win. The two teams met in El Paso, Texas, in 2008 at UTEP Tournament with USU earning a tightly-contested 50-47 win.
Diamond Ford is the Western Athletic Conference's leading scorer, averaging 21.4 points per game. Ford scored 18 points in the earlier meeting this season. Ashley Ezeh also averages in double figures in scoring 15.4 points per game. Ezeh is also fourth in the conference in rebounds, bringing down 9.1 rebounds per game.
The Bobcats are 9-18 overall this season and 3-13 in WAC contests. Texas State has conference wins against UT Arlington, New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech. Utah State was 5-1 against those three teams with a loss to NM State. The Bobcats have lost four-straight games, falling to Seattle and Idaho last week.
Utah State and Texas State have given fans free basketball this season. The Aggies have played five overtime games, while the Bobcats have played four.
Several of Utah State’s seniors had solid final regular-season games at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum. Christensen scored 24 points in the 81-57 win against UT Arlington. Johnson had a career-high 14 rebounds. Senior guard Pualei Furtado earned her second career start against the Mavericks.
Christensen is nearing another Utah State record. She is four points away from tying the single-season scoring record of 542 points. She currently has 538 points this season. Sharon Epps set the record in 1982. She has already set the USU record for field goals attempted in a season with 476. The previous record was 449 by Mary Danielson in 1982. Johnson is close to the single-season steal record with 86 so far this season. The record of 94 was set by Carol Garrison in 1981.
Utah State will conclude the regular season at UTSA on Saturday, March 9 at 5 p.m. (MT).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 32
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22