Utah Jazz: Cavaliers break Jazz's hearts in Mo Williams' return
Gordon Hayward scored 15 of his game-high 25 in the second quarter to help the Jazz take a 51-49 lead at halftime. Then Randy Foye snapped out of his slump, hitting three 3-pointers — after missing his previous 11 — in the third quarter as the Jazz went ahead by as many as 14.
Ex-Jazz swingman C.J. Miles (12 points) hit a couple of long balls to jump start the Cavs, but Utah still held a 100-92 lead with under three minutes to go after a sweet spin move by Millsap.
In the final 2:13, however, the Jazz were 0-4 from the field, 1 for 2 from the free-throw line (Hayward) and turned the ball over twice (Hayward and Foye).
Kyrie Irving, meanwhile, scored five of his 20 points and dished out a nice assist on Ellington's go-ahead dunk with 56.4 seconds left as the Cavaliers finished with a flurry.
It was the second consecutive bitter defeat in the Midwest for the Jazz, who rallied then blew a late lead before losing to Milwaukee on Monday in overtime.
"(We were) just letting them kind of do what they wanted to do," Hayward said. "We turned the ball over too much. We let them frustrate us. We couldn’t get the ball where we wanted to."
Yet again, they couldn't get the result they wanted, either. And now the Jazz have their two hardest games of this four-game Eastern swing — Friday at Chicago and Saturday at New York.
"It's a tough loss because it's fresh," Corbin said. "We've got a lot of games left. We can't feel sorry for ourselves. We let two go on this trip so far, so we've got to make sure we're ready to get these next two."
"It's tough. We've just got to move forward," Williams added. "We've got to put this game behind us. We're getting closer to full strength. Hopefully, we'll have Big Al back Friday."
They could use a ball or two to roll their way for a change, too.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8