Gordon Hayward scored 15 of his game-high 25 in the second quarter to help the Jazz take a 51-49 lead at halftime. Then Randy Foye snapped out of his slump, hitting three 3-pointers — after missing his previous 11 — in the third quarter as the Jazz went ahead by as many as 14.
Ex-Jazz swingman C.J. Miles (12 points) hit a couple of long balls to jump start the Cavs, but Utah still held a 100-92 lead with under three minutes to go after a sweet spin move by Millsap.
In the final 2:13, however, the Jazz were 0-4 from the field, 1 for 2 from the free-throw line (Hayward) and turned the ball over twice (Hayward and Foye).
Kyrie Irving, meanwhile, scored five of his 20 points and dished out a nice assist on Ellington's go-ahead dunk with 56.4 seconds left as the Cavaliers finished with a flurry.
It was the second consecutive bitter defeat in the Midwest for the Jazz, who rallied then blew a late lead before losing to Milwaukee on Monday in overtime.
"(We were) just letting them kind of do what they wanted to do," Hayward said. "We turned the ball over too much. We let them frustrate us. We couldn’t get the ball where we wanted to."
Yet again, they couldn't get the result they wanted, either. And now the Jazz have their two hardest games of this four-game Eastern swing — Friday at Chicago and Saturday at New York.
"It's a tough loss because it's fresh," Corbin said. "We've got a lot of games left. We can't feel sorry for ourselves. We let two go on this trip so far, so we've got to make sure we're ready to get these next two."
"It's tough. We've just got to move forward," Williams added. "We've got to put this game behind us. We're getting closer to full strength. Hopefully, we'll have Big Al back Friday."
They could use a ball or two to roll their way for a change, too.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 89
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 42
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27