Family seeks closure; police seek killer

2 men cleared in teen's death after 'difficult' year

Published: Wednesday, March 6 2013 7:30 p.m. MST

Investigators originally believed that Kasprzak went to a party at Ferry's house, 9997 S. Poppy Lane (865 East). Police documents alleged that after she refused Ferry's sexual advances, she was knocked unconscious, rolled up in either a tarp or carpeting, and taken away.

"That was even more shocking to us because we had no idea who this person was; we had no idea how he could have had any contact with Anne," Veronica Kasprzak said.

Ferry told the Deseret News he did not even have a party that night and never met Anne at all. "I don't think we ever crossed the same street," he said.

In the search warrant for the house on Poppy Street, police accused Ferry of making several statements about dumping a body. Ferry, who has been in prison almost constantly since he was 18, said even if he did commit murder, he would not have said those things.

"I'm not stupid," he said. "I don't even know where I was that night. ... The cops really dropped the ball. They thought they had an open and shut case with me."

Ferry's crimes

Ferry is currently serving up to 15 years in prison for kidnapping, attempted drug possession with intent to distribute and drug distribution. His next parole hearing is in nine years.

His crimes occurred on the same night Anne disappeared. Ferry kidnapped a woman who allegedly owed him money. Two other women reportedly assisted with the kidnapping. The kidnapped woman said she was knocked unconscious, bound and transported with a blanket over her head to a home in Salt Lake County where she was forced to stand in front of a dart board. Darts were thrown at her, piercing the skin of her upper body. The woman was beaten and her head was shaved, according to charges.

While Ferry still denies much of the incident, including throwing darts and shaving the woman's head, he believes a woman "mad at me over heroin" heard about the Kasprzak case and gave police bad information that he was involved as a way to get back at him.

Christian Warmsley, a private investigator hired by Ferry in his drug case, believes police arrested Ferry after mistaking information from one case as being connected with the other.

On Wednesday, Draper Police Sgt. Chad Carpenter said detectives stopped looking seriously at Ferry as a suspect a couple of months ago, although he declined to go into details about how investigators reached that conclusion.

Moving forward

Now that Ferry has been ruled out as a suspect, the Kasprzaks would like the focus of the case to shift elsewhere. In addition, they'd like the public to remember that the case isn't solved and that a killer is still on the loose.

"We do believe in Draper police, we're not saying anything negative towards them. We just want answers. We want to move forward," Dennis Kasprzak said. "We are looking for that one tip that breaks this case open. ... With everybody focusing in on Mr. Ferry, you know, I think that conversation kind of stopped, and it needs to reopen."

Veronica Kasprzak said it was important to explore Ferry and for Draper police to follow the leads they had at that point.

"It's hard to feel (the months) were wasted. (Police) had every reason to believe it was viable information," she said." I can't feel frustrated with that because they did what they needed to do at the time. It's unfortunate the information doesn't appear to be genuine or accurate.

"I don't think we're at square one as far as not having any idea where to go. But obviously we aren't where we'd like to be from where it happened," she said.

Police say little

Draper police declined to answer specific questions Wednesday about where the case is now that Ferry is no longer considered a suspect.

"We are still investigating," Carpenter said. "The police department is diligently working on this investigation. It has been the highest priority for us."

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere