If it seems like it’s been awhile since the first Utah State-Texas State matchup, it’s probably because it has been. The Aggies (19-9, 9-7) and the Bobcats (9-20, 4-12) last met during the opening weekend of WAC play on New Year’s Eve in an 81-57 blowout for USU.
A lot has changed since then, specifically with the Utah State lineup. Head coach Stew Morrill views the season in two parts with essentially two different teams.
“There's been a lot of water under the bridge and a lot of things have happened,” Morrill said. “I'm watching our first two games with Texas State and UTSA, but it was so long ago and we're playing with different people. Those games from the first weekend of conference are kind of irrelevant.”
The team is hopeful that guard Spencer Butterfield can return to the lineup on Thursday night. Butterfield has not been able to play or practice since injuring his hip against Louisiana Tech last week. The junior guard will be a game-time decision on Thursday.
"At least there's a chance,” Morrill said. “I thought that when he first went down he was for sure done for the year, just the pain he was in and the magnitude of how the injury looked. It's gotten to feel a little bit better each day, so we're hopeful.”
If Butterfield is unable to play, Utah State will only have 36 of the 81 points scored in San Marcos in uniform for the rematch.
Following the game with the Bobcats, the Aggies will stay at home for their final regular season game against UT San Antonio on Saturday night.
Aggies on the Air
Texas State (9-20, 4-12 WAC) at Utah State (19-9, 9-7 WAC)
Thursday, March 7, 2013 • 7 p.m. MST • Logan, Utah — Dee Glen Smith Spectrum (10,270) •
Radio: Aggie Sports Network
TV: KMYU TV
Kraig Williams is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 78
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 64
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Annual instate college basketball... 37
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 32
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29