DUCHESNE — A 10-year-old boy was killed Wednesday after apparently riding his bicycle in front of a semitrailer.
Two semitrailers were following one another on southbound state Route 87 around 7:30 a.m. when the first truck passed the boy, who was riding on the shoulder of the highway, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. After the first truck passed, the boy apparently crossed back into the travel lane and into the path of the second semitrailer.
"The boy was then struck by the second semi truck, which could not avoid hitting him," the UHP reported.
Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said the boy was riding alone and was not wearing a helmet. It is also unknown where he was traveling and whether he often took the route.
Investigators believe the boy saw the first semitrailer, but did not notice the second behind it. "After the first one passed, he just moved back out into the travel lane," Johnson said.
Attempts were made to resuscitate the boy at the scene, but he was pronounced dead at a local hospital. He was from the Duchesne area.
The weather and road conditions were "clear and dry" and are not believed to be factors in the crash. The driver of the semitrailer, Troy Johnson, 46, of Fruitland, was not injured. He was not cited.
The Uintah Basin Standard identified the boy as 11-year-old Dennis Weaver. The UHP refused to release the boy's name, claiming it was following the advice of its legal counsel.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 28
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16