DUCHESNE — A 10-year-old boy was killed Wednesday after apparently riding his bicycle in front of a semitrailer.
Two semitrailers were following one another on southbound state Route 87 around 7:30 a.m. when the first truck passed the boy, who was riding on the shoulder of the highway, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. After the first truck passed, the boy apparently crossed back into the travel lane and into the path of the second semitrailer.
"The boy was then struck by the second semi truck, which could not avoid hitting him," the UHP reported.
Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said the boy was riding alone and was not wearing a helmet. It is also unknown where he was traveling and whether he often took the route.
Investigators believe the boy saw the first semitrailer, but did not notice the second behind it. "After the first one passed, he just moved back out into the travel lane," Johnson said.
Attempts were made to resuscitate the boy at the scene, but he was pronounced dead at a local hospital. He was from the Duchesne area.
The weather and road conditions were "clear and dry" and are not believed to be factors in the crash. The driver of the semitrailer, Troy Johnson, 46, of Fruitland, was not injured. He was not cited.
The Uintah Basin Standard identified the boy as 11-year-old Dennis Weaver. The UHP refused to release the boy's name, claiming it was following the advice of its legal counsel.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18