DUCHESNE — A 10-year-old boy was killed Wednesday after apparently riding his bicycle in front of a semitrailer.
Two semitrailers were following one another on southbound state Route 87 around 7:30 a.m. when the first truck passed the boy, who was riding on the shoulder of the highway, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. After the first truck passed, the boy apparently crossed back into the travel lane and into the path of the second semitrailer.
"The boy was then struck by the second semi truck, which could not avoid hitting him," the UHP reported.
Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said the boy was riding alone and was not wearing a helmet. It is also unknown where he was traveling and whether he often took the route.
Investigators believe the boy saw the first semitrailer, but did not notice the second behind it. "After the first one passed, he just moved back out into the travel lane," Johnson said.
Attempts were made to resuscitate the boy at the scene, but he was pronounced dead at a local hospital. He was from the Duchesne area.
The weather and road conditions were "clear and dry" and are not believed to be factors in the crash. The driver of the semitrailer, Troy Johnson, 46, of Fruitland, was not injured. He was not cited.
The Uintah Basin Standard identified the boy as 11-year-old Dennis Weaver. The UHP refused to release the boy's name, claiming it was following the advice of its legal counsel.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13