Bill creating state suicide prevention coordinators passes Senate committee
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A bill creating suicide prevention coordinators for the state was passed Wednesday by the Senate Health and Human Services Committee despite concerns about funding the $250,000 cost.
The sponsor of HB154, Rep. Steve Eliason R-Sandy, told the committee he was aware of the concerns and was working on finding another way for the Utah State Office of Education and the Department of Human Services to pay for the prevention effort.
"This bill is too important not to pass," Eliason said, adding that despite Utah being No. 10 in the nation in teen suicides, there is no position in state government dedicated to suicide prevention.
Sen. Daniel Thatcher, R-West Valley City, said the bill likely won't succeed unless another source of funding is found. He said lawmakers have already had to reject other critical requests for money in other areas of the budget.
"There has got to be a way in an almost $5 billion budget we can get education to fund this," Thatcher said.
Eliason said he was approached for help by parents in his districts after three students at a middle school took their own lives.
"As I studied the issue, I became quite alarmed," he said, calling suicide a "silent epidemic" that needs attention.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 78
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17