BYU golf: Cougars earn 13th-place finish at Bruin Wave Invitational
TARZANA, Calif. — BYU's women's golf team shot a final round 337 (+49) to finish in 13th place at the Bruin Wave Invitational on Tuesday.
"It was a hard golf course," BYU head coach Carrie Roberts said. "It showed us where we need to get better and what we can do is take what we learned from here, work on it and get better."
Southern California edged out UCLA to win the tournament at 20-over-par, two strokes better than the Bruins. BYU finished with a 54-hole-total 983 (+119), five strokes better than 14th place Hawaii (+124).
Garner led the Cougars shooting a three-round total 241 (+25) to finish the tournament tied for 45th. Garner finished round three with ten pars.
Keith finished tied for 54th on the individual leaderboard going 29-over-par on the tournament. Keith made six pars Tuesday with her lone birdie coming on the 18th hole.
Shooting her best round of the tournament, Yacaman finished the day with seven pars. She showed steady improvement throughout the tournament lowering her score each round by four strokes.
Sophomore Lauren Atkinson shot two birdies during Tuesday's final round and finished at 31-over-par through 54 holes.
The Cougars will look forward to their next tournament March 18-19 as they host the BYU Entrada Classic in St. George, Utah.
T45 Lea Garner 77, 80, 84, +25
T54 Amanda Keith 81, 80, 84, +29
T60 Lauren Atkinson 82, 78, 87, +31
T72 Selu Fotu 80, 90, 85, +39
77 Maria Yacaman 92, 88, 84, +48
1 Southern California +20
2 UCLA +22
3 Arizona +32
4 Pepperdine +58
5 Oregon State +60
6 Oklahoma State +67
7 Long Beach State +76
8 Washington State +80
9 San Diego State +83
T10 Denver +86
T10 UNLV +86
12 New Mexico +113
13 BYU +119
14 Hawaii +124
15 New Mexico State +134
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 50
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 34