UVU basketball: Jensen earns ninth Great West Player of the Week award
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a conference win over Houston Baptist to claim the GWC title. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury, Utah, helped UVU win its first regular season conference title on Saturday as she led the Wolverines with a career-high 32 points and 19 rebounds in a 59-46 win over Houston Baptist. Jensen shot a solid 11-for-19 from the field and a near-perfect 10-of-11 from the line, while adding two assists and a block in her final home game of her career. The reigning GWC Player of the Year picked up her 19th double-double of the season in the game.
Jensen is currently ranked second in the nation in rebounding with an average of 14.2 boards per contest. In conference-only play, she finished the regular season by leading the league in scoring and rebounding with averages of 19.4 points and 17.0 rebounds per game.
The conference honor is Jensen's ninth of the season and 14th of her career.
Also nominated were Houston Baptist's Erin McGarrachan, NJIT's Sarah Olsen and Texas-Pan American's Bianca Torre.
Jensen and the Wolverines will now be off until the Great West Conference Tournament that will take place March 14-16 at Chicago State's Jones Convocation Center in Chicago, Ill.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33