Marc Weaver, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Educators in the Salt Lake City School District hope a new program will get students and parents to send anonymous tips about everything from a weapon at school to bullying.
The idea behind Safe to Talk is to give kids an easy way to talk, said Kevin Santiago, director of the campaign. The program allows students and parents to anonymously send text messages to school and district officials.
"If we can get the kids to feel like they're safe to have that initial talk, the counselors can then walk them through all the difficulty of, 'Should I talk about this?'" Santiago said.
Santiago said Safe to Talk is in more than 100 Utah schools, including all Salt Lake City School District schools. The Safe to Talk Foundation donated the system.
"Teenagers today, that's how they communicate. They text," said Jason Olsen, spokesman for the Salt Lake City School District.
Not every child has access to a cellphone or feels comfortable sending a text message. For those kids, there's another option: a website where they can submit a tip.
At www.SafetyTipline.com, students can enter their school's name, sign up for an account and then email a tip. They are given a case number, and they can track any action taken after submitting the tip.
Santiago said his office makes sure the students get the help they need.
"It's amazing what happens when you have the two-way communication," he said.
The school has 48 hours to respond to a tip, Santiago said. If nothing has been done, the system will contact the school again. If a tip needs immediate attention, like in a life or death situation, a call will be made to the school to make sure officials see the tip.
Santiago said each school involved in the program can expect two or three tips a week.
Safe To Talk is currently in operation at about 1,000 schools across the country. The foundation hopes to be in more than 10,000 by 2016.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- 9-month anniversary of landslide marked by...
- After finding a vehicle they believe to be...
- Promise ring, pregnancy talk shows...
- 2 fugitives arrested thanks to alert...
- Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari hopeful for...
- Student in officer training course...
- 20 years later, parents of missing Spanish...
- 3-year-old run over, killed following family...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 106
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 39
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- Audit reveals flawed projections on... 18
- 9-month anniversary of landslide marked... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- New prison site could be recommended... 11