About a year after starting her blog, she noticed new followers she did not recognize. She then received an email from another blogger asking her to "swap buttons."
"So I made a few buttons, swapped with a few people and saw my following starting to grow," Stratford said.
Also known as badges, blog buttons are becoming a popular way to promote, track and link back to your blog. Bloggers simply choose a logo or photo to represent their blog and attach a link to their blog to it, creating a "button."
Within the last year, Stratford has had companies contact her to do sponsored posts and pay her accordingly. The highest-paying post she's had was one for $50, which for a college student is a lot of money.
"I've probably made an accumulated $250 total, which went right around to pay for some of my standardized certification tests," said Stratford.
Stratford mentioned how many bloggers will attempt to increase their blog's followers by paying to have their buttons on other well-known bloggers' sites. Once they have more followers, they then can charge others who want to place buttons on their blog. Many bloggers earn a decent amount of money this way, though Stratford currently doesn't pay to have her button on other's blogs.
"I love blogging and would be so humbled to have my blog bring in a steady income someday, but without money to invest in having your buttons on other people's blogs, I don't foresee that happening anytime soon," she said. "Regardless, I'll keep writing."
For now, Stratford will continue to blog in hopes others will be able to benefit from what she writes.
"I want my blog to be relatable and not just to make money," she said. "I want those reading it to know that they really do have a friend in me, and I hope I can touch others."
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- The Clean Cut: After dad's death, brother...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Can you guess when these 17 animated Disney...
- There is no such thing as a bulletproof marriage
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy era
- The problems grandparents face when...
- How parents can keep family screen time under...
- Maryland couple investigated again... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 6
- Erin Stewart: Saying goodbye to a mommy... 5
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 5
- Schooled by autism: 5 lessons from my... 3
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of... 2
- Sherry Young: Protecting our family in... 2
- What causes do men care about? Kids and... 1