BYU track: Kelsey Brown competes at NCAA Indoor Championships for 800-meter title
PROVO, Utah — Junior 800-meter runner Kelsey Brown heads to Fayetteville, Ark., this weekend as the sole member of the BYU women’s track team to qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships.
“Kelsey is going into this weekend with the idea that she is going to win,” head coach Patrick Shane said. “She’s healthy, she’s ready to go, and she believes she has a legitimate shot at making the finals. At that point, it’s anyone’s race.”
Due to a hamstring injury following the Washington Invitational, Brown has only competed in two 800 races so far this season. During the Washington Invitational, she finished first with a personal-best time of 2 minutes 4.94 seconds, which ranks her seventh in the NCAA. She also qualified for nationals with the same time and currently ranks fourth on the BYU all-time indoor record board.
Before setting her personal-best time in Washington, Brown’s fastest indoor 800 was 2:10.13, which she ran at the Husky Classic in 2011 as a freshman.
During the 2013 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships, Brown finished fourth with a time of 2:07.11.
This is Brown’s first trip to the NCAA Indoor Championships.
Last year during the indoor championships, Nachelle Mackie and Katie Palmer led the way in the 800. Mackie finished first, claiming the championship title, with a time of 2:03.30, and Palmer finished third with a time of 2:04.56. Mackie’s time currently ranks atop the BYU all-time indoor record board in the 800.
The 800 semifinals will begin on Friday at 7:15 p.m. CST at Randal Tyson Track Center. If Brown advances to the next round, she will compete during the finals that will take place on Saturday at 7:20 p.m. CST.
Results from the first day of competition can be found at Flotrack.org.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at email@example.com.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- J.J. O'Brien's basketball career comes full...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 104
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27