USU basketball: Aggie women still lead the nation in free throw percentage
For the third-straight week, Utah State women’s basketball remains in first place in the current NCAA statistics in free throw percentage, shooting 80.3 percent from the free-throw line.
The Aggies have hit 444-of-553 free throws this season, and their 80.3 percent is also tops in the Western Athletic Conference. USU also has three of the top free throw shooters in the conference led by senior guard Devyn Christensen who shoots a league-leading 92.0 percent. She is now seventh in the nation from the charity stripe. Christensen has missed only nine of the 113 free throws she has attempted this season. Junior guard Jennifer Schlott is second in the WAC, shooting 83.2 percent (119-of-139), while senior guard Jenna Johnson is fourth, shooting 83.2 percent (124-of-149).
As a team, USU is 18th in the country and second in the WAC in three-point field goals made per game (7.5).
Utah State is also sixth in the nation in scoring offense (76.8 ppg) and fifth in steals (12.9 ppg). Individually, Christensen is sixth in three-point field goals per game, making 3.26 threes a game. Christensen is also among the nation’s leaders in scorers, standing 21st with 19.9 points per game. Johnson is also 16th in the nation and second in the conference in steals per game (3.19 spg).
Freshman guard Makenlee Williams is first in the WAC in three-point field goal percentage, shooting 41.0 percent from beyond the arc, while sophomore forward Franny Vaaulu is second in the league in field goal percentage, shooting 54.9 percent.
The Aggies will complete regular-season action this weekend, opening on Thursday, March 7 at Texas State at 5:30 p.m. (MT). Utah State will end regular-season play on Saturday, March 9 at UTSA at 5 p.m. (MT).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 16
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 15