FRESNO, Calif. -Zac Blair shot 22 consecutive pars to lead the Cougars to a fifth place standing after two rounds at the Fresno State Lexus Classic on Monday.
BYU shot a four-under-par 356 during Monday's opening round, followed by a second round 367 (+7) to finish at three-over-par. The Cougars currently stand tied for fifth place with Oregon, four strokes behind fourth place Northwestern (-1). No. 1 California leads all teams at 26-under-par, 22 strokes ahead of second place Fresno State (-4).
"We started hot and were hanging right with California after about 9 or 10 holes, but then we didn't finish very well," BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "This afternoon we had the same thing, we just didn't make a lot of putts."
Blair had a solid first round for the Cougars, finishing with five birdies and one bogey to go four-under-par during the opening round. Blair shot par on every hole during round two and currently stands tied for sixth place at four-under-par. Michael Kim of California currently stands in first on the player leaderboard at 11-under-par, seven strokes ahead of Blair.
"Zac played really good," Brockbank said. "He had plenty of chances; just his speed was a little bit off after mid-round."
Juniors Justin Keiley and Jordan Hammer currently stand tied for 25th in the individual standings, going even-par through the first two rounds. Keiley made 11 birdies on the day, while Hammer converted six birdies of his own.
Sophomore Mike Jurca had a consistent effort for the Cougars in his first spring tournament action of the new year. Jurca shot a 74 (+2) during the opening round and a second round 73 (+1).
The Cougars will look to rise up in the team standings Tuesday's final round with tee times set to start at 7:35 a.m. PST. Follow the Cougars live on golfstat.com.
T6 Zac Blair 68, 72, -4
T25 Justin Keiley 70, 74, E
T25 Jordan Hammer 69, 75, E
T51 Mike Jurca 74, 73, +3
T66 Devon Purser 75, 74, +5
T75 Joe Parkinson 76, 74, +6
1 California -26
2 Fresno State -4
3 Arizona -2
4 Northwestern -1
T5 Brigham Young +3
T5 Oregon +3
T7 UC Santa Barbara +4
T7 Colorado State +4
9 Oregon State +5
10 Kansas State +6
11 UC Irvine +8
12 Pacific +10
13 Nevada +11
14 Hawaii +13
15 Sacramento State +14
16 Cal Poly +26
17 Utah +36
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23