BYU track: four Cougars qualify for National Indoor Championships
PROVO, Utah – Four athletes will represent the BYU men’s track and field team this weekend at the NCAA Indoor Championships at Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Ark.
“This is probably the toughest indoor qualifying group that I’ve ever seen,” head coach Mark Robison said. “For example, there were 31 athletes who finished under four minutes in the mile. That means 15 kids had mile times under four minutes but are staying home this weekend. It’s crazy.”
Each of the BYU athletes who qualified for nationals this year did so while setting personal indoor bests.
“Our guys are going into the competition performing the best they’ve done in their college careers,” Robison said. “That’s exactly what they need though, since the talent in the field is so incredible this year.”
Weirich finished the regular season tied for sixth in the pole vault with a mark of 18-02.00 set at the Air Force Team Challenge in February. At the 2012 Indoor Championships, Weirich took 10th place with a mark of 17-04.50. The pole vault finals are on Friday at 4:30 p.m. MST.
Ward and Thatcher both qualified for nationals in the 5,000-meter run. Ward had the 11th-best time in the country at 13:41.97, which is also a BYU record. Thatcher grabbed the 16th spot with a time of 13:45.43, the second-best time in Cougar history. The men’s 5,000 meters final is scheduled for Friday at 7:15 p.m. MST.
At the Husky Classic in Seattle last month, Waite broke his own school record in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:48.49. The time was the 16th-best in the country this season, qualifying Waite for nationals. The semifinals for the 800 meters will be at 6:25 p.m. MST on Friday.
Check the men’s track and field home page for recaps of the events at the end of each day.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond):...
- Morning links: National college football...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Former BYU wide receiver Cody Hoffman rejoins...
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat about this...
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's open to...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 98
- Morning links: National college... 96
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 32
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play... 4