Utah Dems call for independent probe of current, former AGs
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Democratic Party called on Gov. Gary Herbert on Monday to appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate the state's current and former attorneys general.
Both Republican Attorney General John Swallow and his GOP predecessor, Mark Shurtleff, have been the subject of news reports alleging misconduct regarding relationships with campaign contributors.
Democrats want a special prosecutor to look into possible ethics violations and breaches of Utah law.
“Right now, it is the media and the feds that are investigating these incredibly serious charges, while the governor and the Republican supermajority are just twiddling their thumbs,” said Matt Lyon, executive director of the state Democratic Party.
Lyon said the prosecutor should report back to the people of Utah to clear Swallow's and Shurtleff’s names or take appropriate legal action.
The FBI already is investigating Swallow's relationship with indicted businessman Jeremy Johnson, who claims Swallow helped arrange a deal to payoff a U.S. senator to thwart a Federal Trade Commission investigation into Johnson's company.
Utah Democrats also called for lawmakers to create an independent ethics commission in the state's executive branch. A bill to that end is already making its way through the Legislature.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 25
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22