Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The conditions might be soggy, and many teams probably haven’t even practiced on grass yet, but the 2013 high school baseball season officially gets underway this week.
Two of last year’s state champions — Snow Canyon and Gunnison — begin the season ranked No. 1 in the Deseret News preseason coaches rankings, while Bingham gets the early nod at No. 1 in 5A while Maple Mountain checks at the top of the rankings in 4A.
Bingham, which is ranked 58th nationally according to MaxPreps, narrowly edged defending 5A champion and Riverton for the top spot in 4A.
Arik Mack is back for No. 1 Maple Mountain after posting a 10-0 record and 1.09 ERA last season, and he’s a big reason the Golden Eagles were the overwhelming preseason favorite ahead of Mountain crest and Salem Hills in 4A.
Defending 4A state champion Skyline finished seventh in preseason voting.
In 3A, Snow Canyon received 15 of 17 first place votes to begin the season ranked No. 1. The Warriors return first team all-staters Riley Gates and Brogan Secrist this year.
Defending 2A state champion Gunnison narrowly edged Millard to begin the season at No. 1 despite the graduation of its 2A MVP and two first teamers.
Here’s a look at the Deseret News preseason rankings as voted on by the coaches. Every coach was invited to vote in the preseason rankings, with over half choosing to participate. First place votes are in parenthesis along with last year’s record.
1. Bingham (4) 24-6
2. American Fork (4) 25-6
3. Riverton (5) 14-15
4. Jordan 17-10
5. Alta 17-13
1. Maple Mountain (9) 24-6
2. Mountain Crest (2) 21-9
3. Salem Hills (4) 19-10
4. Murray 18-9
5. Timpanogos 21-13
1. Snow Canyon (15) 21-9
2. Spanish Fork (2) 22-5
3. Juan Diego 23-8
4. Canyon View 20-7
5. Cedar 13-12
1. Gunnison (4) 24-2
2. Millard (2) 28-8
3. San Juan (3) 12-10
4. Emery 16-9
5. Beaver 16-8
The high school baseball rankings will be updated Monday each week.
Deseret News prep editor, follow on Twitter @DNewsPreps
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 119
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 72
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 67
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 52
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45