USU softball: Aggies closes out San Diego Classic with loss to Boise State Sunday
In the final game of the San Diego Classic, Utah State softball fell just short against Boise State, 2-0, on Sunday. In a game that showcased pitching and defense, neither team was able to get much going offensively. The game was scoreless through the first five innings of action.
The Broncos were the first to plate a run in the game in the bottom of the sixth inning as Devon Bridges connected for a two-run home run off Aggie senior pitcher Mandy Harmon to put Boise State up 2-0 heading into the final inning.
Utah State could not rally its offense in its final at bats as BSU starting pitcher Kenzie Cole worked a complete game shutout and collected the win. Harmon was charged with her 13th loss of the season, while her squad falls to 0-20 on the year. USU had three players tallying hits in the game, all of whom were sophomores. Infielder Nicole Arata, outfielder Jolene Koons and outfielder Amburlyn Orozco were all credited with a hit in Sunday's action.
The Aggies will next take to the diamond for a doubleheader against in-state foe Weber State on March 13. Action is set to be played in Ogden, Utah, and it will be Utah State’s first action outside of tournament play this season.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37