USU softball: Aggies closes out San Diego Classic with loss to Boise State Sunday
In the final game of the San Diego Classic, Utah State softball fell just short against Boise State, 2-0, on Sunday. In a game that showcased pitching and defense, neither team was able to get much going offensively. The game was scoreless through the first five innings of action.
The Broncos were the first to plate a run in the game in the bottom of the sixth inning as Devon Bridges connected for a two-run home run off Aggie senior pitcher Mandy Harmon to put Boise State up 2-0 heading into the final inning.
Utah State could not rally its offense in its final at bats as BSU starting pitcher Kenzie Cole worked a complete game shutout and collected the win. Harmon was charged with her 13th loss of the season, while her squad falls to 0-20 on the year. USU had three players tallying hits in the game, all of whom were sophomores. Infielder Nicole Arata, outfielder Jolene Koons and outfielder Amburlyn Orozco were all credited with a hit in Sunday's action.
The Aggies will next take to the diamond for a doubleheader against in-state foe Weber State on March 13. Action is set to be played in Ogden, Utah, and it will be Utah State’s first action outside of tournament play this season.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26