USU softball: Aggies closes out San Diego Classic with loss to Boise State Sunday
In the final game of the San Diego Classic, Utah State softball fell just short against Boise State, 2-0, on Sunday. In a game that showcased pitching and defense, neither team was able to get much going offensively. The game was scoreless through the first five innings of action.
The Broncos were the first to plate a run in the game in the bottom of the sixth inning as Devon Bridges connected for a two-run home run off Aggie senior pitcher Mandy Harmon to put Boise State up 2-0 heading into the final inning.
Utah State could not rally its offense in its final at bats as BSU starting pitcher Kenzie Cole worked a complete game shutout and collected the win. Harmon was charged with her 13th loss of the season, while her squad falls to 0-20 on the year. USU had three players tallying hits in the game, all of whom were sophomores. Infielder Nicole Arata, outfielder Jolene Koons and outfielder Amburlyn Orozco were all credited with a hit in Sunday's action.
The Aggies will next take to the diamond for a doubleheader against in-state foe Weber State on March 13. Action is set to be played in Ogden, Utah, and it will be Utah State’s first action outside of tournament play this season.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48