LOS ANGELES — BYU opens spring football Monday, but defensive lineman Bronson Kaufusi won't be participating — yet.
That's because Kaufusi will finish out the basketball season with the Cougars, who completed the regular season Saturday at Loyola Marymount. BYU plays Friday in the West Coast Conference tournament in Las Vegas.
"I think that's the right thing to do. He's doing a nice job," Mendenhall said. "He's working really hard and I'd like to see him finish what he's started there. We'll get Bronson Kaufusi back from basketball here fairly soon."
Spring ball concludes on April 5.
Kaufusi joined the hoops squad in late December, after the Poinsettia Bowl victory over San Diego State. The 6-foot-7, 260-pound freshman has provided much-needed size and depth for the Cougars. He's averaged 1.1 points and 1.5 rebounds this season.
Kaufusi played a key role early on in BYU's loss to No. 2 Gonzaga last Thursday, going in for foul-plagued Brandon Davies. He scored the Cougars' first basket of the game. Kaufusi finished with three points in 10 minutes of play before fouling out.
Saturday at LMU, Kaufusi once again spelled Davies after Davies got in early foul trouble. He scored two points and grabbed two rebounds in the first half against the Lions.
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45