LOS ANGELES — BYU opens spring football Monday, but defensive lineman Bronson Kaufusi won't be participating — yet.
That's because Kaufusi will finish out the basketball season with the Cougars, who completed the regular season Saturday at Loyola Marymount. BYU plays Friday in the West Coast Conference tournament in Las Vegas.
"I think that's the right thing to do. He's doing a nice job," Mendenhall said. "He's working really hard and I'd like to see him finish what he's started there. We'll get Bronson Kaufusi back from basketball here fairly soon."
Spring ball concludes on April 5.
Kaufusi joined the hoops squad in late December, after the Poinsettia Bowl victory over San Diego State. The 6-foot-7, 260-pound freshman has provided much-needed size and depth for the Cougars. He's averaged 1.1 points and 1.5 rebounds this season.
Kaufusi played a key role early on in BYU's loss to No. 2 Gonzaga last Thursday, going in for foul-plagued Brandon Davies. He scored the Cougars' first basket of the game. Kaufusi finished with three points in 10 minutes of play before fouling out.
Saturday at LMU, Kaufusi once again spelled Davies after Davies got in early foul trouble. He scored two points and grabbed two rebounds in the first half against the Lions.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 108
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 65
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 13
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12