LOS ANGELES — BYU opens spring football Monday, but defensive lineman Bronson Kaufusi won't be participating — yet.
That's because Kaufusi will finish out the basketball season with the Cougars, who completed the regular season Saturday at Loyola Marymount. BYU plays Friday in the West Coast Conference tournament in Las Vegas.
"I think that's the right thing to do. He's doing a nice job," Mendenhall said. "He's working really hard and I'd like to see him finish what he's started there. We'll get Bronson Kaufusi back from basketball here fairly soon."
Spring ball concludes on April 5.
Kaufusi joined the hoops squad in late December, after the Poinsettia Bowl victory over San Diego State. The 6-foot-7, 260-pound freshman has provided much-needed size and depth for the Cougars. He's averaged 1.1 points and 1.5 rebounds this season.
Kaufusi played a key role early on in BYU's loss to No. 2 Gonzaga last Thursday, going in for foul-plagued Brandon Davies. He scored the Cougars' first basket of the game. Kaufusi finished with three points in 10 minutes of play before fouling out.
Saturday at LMU, Kaufusi once again spelled Davies after Davies got in early foul trouble. He scored two points and grabbed two rebounds in the first half against the Lions.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25