Real Salt Lake signs Rich Balchan before season opener at San Jose
Real Salt Lake signed the former Columbus Crew defender Rich Balchan on Saturday.
Balchan played in 19 games in his rookie season with Columbus, however the following season he was plagued with injuries and did not appear in any games. The Crew released him in the offseason.
He joined up with RSL Feb. 12 to train with the team at Real's preseason camp at the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup.
Balchan said he is ready to start the season playing with a group of talented players and staff.
"I'm pretty excited," Balchan said. "It's been kind of a long road trying to find a new team, so I'm excited to get back after it. It's a good group of guys and a great staff.
"Whether you're playing in games or if it's in practice, it's all very competitive and we're all going to make each other better so it's just a great atmospere to be in."
Balchan will be available to play when Real visits the defending Supporters' Shield champion San Jose on Sunday.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45