Real Salt Lake signs Rich Balchan before season opener at San Jose
Real Salt Lake signed the former Columbus Crew defender Rich Balchan on Saturday.
Balchan played in 19 games in his rookie season with Columbus, however the following season he was plagued with injuries and did not appear in any games. The Crew released him in the offseason.
He joined up with RSL Feb. 12 to train with the team at Real's preseason camp at the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup.
Balchan said he is ready to start the season playing with a group of talented players and staff.
"I'm pretty excited," Balchan said. "It's been kind of a long road trying to find a new team, so I'm excited to get back after it. It's a good group of guys and a great staff.
"Whether you're playing in games or if it's in practice, it's all very competitive and we're all going to make each other better so it's just a great atmospere to be in."
Balchan will be available to play when Real visits the defending Supporters' Shield champion San Jose on Sunday.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24