Indeed, these changes come at a time when the Cougars, who will embark on their third year as an independent this fall, are on the verge of facing perhaps their toughest schedule ever, with games at Virginia, Utah State, Houston, Wisconsin, Notre Dame and Nevada, and home contests against Texas, Utah, Middle Tennessee, Georgia Tech and Boise State.
"I think it's exciting, certainly challenging. But what I did know in assessing the program is I had to make changes for the program to achieve its goals and what was possible," Mendenhall said. "I've done the very best to my ability to put a staff together to do that. I've also done my best to improve our scheduling, to make that as difficult and intriguing as possible.
"At some point, it will all come together to continue to improve our program, which is already very strong and is already one of the nation's best and most consistent. That's the baseline. How much room is left? The goal is to squeeze any air out between where we are and the ceiling. That's the intent and motive of not only the scheduling, but the coaching changes."
Mendenhall added that he's working with a sense of urgency because he wants the program to reach its full potential in all areas — spiritually, academically and athletically. He wants to help produce young men with high character who serve in the work force, in communities and in the LDS Church.
But that's not all.
"I want to see the program absolutely dominant on the football field," Mendenhall said. "I've learned a lot in eight years and I've grown tremendously. I'm excited and optimistic for the continued growth and expansion of the program. I didn't make any of these changes for them to be on a short-term basis."
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 153
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 64
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 42
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 20
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19