Early morning explosion near Vernal levels business, damages several structures
JENSEN, Uintah County — One building was destroyed and several damaged in an explosion early Saturday morning at the Ashley Valley Industrial Park.
Uintah County Sheriff Jeff Merrell said the explosion occurred at Adler Hot Oil just after midnight. The blast leveled the business and severely damaged eight other commercial structures. Two nearby homes also recevied moderate damage, according to officials.
"This was a major explosion that not only destroyed the business where the explosion occurred, but it dramatically impacted the buildings all the way around it," Merrell said.
An evacuation order was issued for businesses and homes within one-half mile, Merrell said, but residents were allowed to return to the area around noon Saturday.
Merrell said the cause of the explosion is still under investigation. There were no reported injuries in the explosion and crews from three fire departments responded to the scene and extinguished the resulting fire by approximately 6 a.m.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 24