Early morning explosion near Vernal levels business, damages several structures
JENSEN, Uintah County — One building was destroyed and several damaged in an explosion early Saturday morning at the Ashley Valley Industrial Park.
Uintah County Sheriff Jeff Merrell said the explosion occurred at Adler Hot Oil just after midnight. The blast leveled the business and severely damaged eight other commercial structures. Two nearby homes also recevied moderate damage, according to officials.
"This was a major explosion that not only destroyed the business where the explosion occurred, but it dramatically impacted the buildings all the way around it," Merrell said.
An evacuation order was issued for businesses and homes within one-half mile, Merrell said, but residents were allowed to return to the area around noon Saturday.
Merrell said the cause of the explosion is still under investigation. There were no reported injuries in the explosion and crews from three fire departments responded to the scene and extinguished the resulting fire by approximately 6 a.m.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14