Early morning explosion near Vernal levels business, damages several structures
JENSEN, Uintah County — One building was destroyed and several damaged in an explosion early Saturday morning at the Ashley Valley Industrial Park.
Uintah County Sheriff Jeff Merrell said the explosion occurred at Adler Hot Oil just after midnight. The blast leveled the business and severely damaged eight other commercial structures. Two nearby homes also recevied moderate damage, according to officials.
"This was a major explosion that not only destroyed the business where the explosion occurred, but it dramatically impacted the buildings all the way around it," Merrell said.
An evacuation order was issued for businesses and homes within one-half mile, Merrell said, but residents were allowed to return to the area around noon Saturday.
Merrell said the cause of the explosion is still under investigation. There were no reported injuries in the explosion and crews from three fire departments responded to the scene and extinguished the resulting fire by approximately 6 a.m.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 12